Treated wood for coop floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Roxannemc, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Coop floor question....
    I accidentally used treated wood for the floor of the coop .(its all put up now.)
    .Wonder if using linolium on the floor would work as far as keeping the chickens from being poisoned by the arsenic etc gases or should i paint it with waterproof paint (low VOC )and then put down the sheet vinyl
    OR just use a sheet of untreated wood over the treated then vinyl flooring

2. mrtim81

mrtim81 New Egg

Apr 19, 2012
    Some of the new treated lumber doesnt use those poisons when they treat. They are supposed to be better for the enviroment and such, but they arent sure exactly how long it will last.

Depending on where or when you got the lumber, you might be able to see exactly what they used to treat it.

If there are poisons from the treating chemicals in the wood, and replacing the floor isnt an option, i would assume the more layers in between the birds and the floor the better.

Good Luck!

Tim

3. TomGallopavo

TomGallopavo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Hillbillyville, MO
    I would cover it with linoleum anyway, much easier to clean and it won't absorb all the moisture. I used the left over to cover my poop deck that has a poop hammock.

4. Roxannemc

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    HOw cute!! Poop hammock!!

5. Roxannemc

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Thanks Tim.
    I add ed an untreated floor 2 " above the treated and i will add linolium too . Hope it helps
    Got the wood from Lowes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by