1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Treated wood or Not?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Muddybootsfarm, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Muddybootsfarm

Muddybootsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Greenville Pa.
    I want to build a coop. Can I use treated lumber for all exterior parts of coop and run?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yes -- most people do. It's not the poisonous stuff it used to be.

3. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    We used pressure treated lumber for the 2x4's that had ground contact and then regular lumber (cheaper) for the rest of the coop. I personally don't have an issue with pressure treated lumber in a coop.

4. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    We use treated wood on anything that touches the ground. Regular wood for the rest of it, but we try to paint it. If we have time. [​IMG]

5. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

X 2 on the pressure treated wood! I have an entire small coop made of it. My larger coop-- just all the exterior wood is pressure treated. No point in having anything rot out after putting so much time, money and effort into it. :)

6. Muddybootsfarm

Muddybootsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Greenville Pa.
    Thank you every one. I will be using Treated wood. Will be building this week. Just got our chicks today. 6 white Plymouth Rock and 6 Americauna.

7. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Same here. Treated for everything touching the ground, regular for everything else, all exterior painted (not the treated, but the regular).

8. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    I used treated wood for everything. Actually I used fence pickets from Lowes. The cheapest thing I could find. Then bought the thinnest piece of paneling to line the inside with.

9. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

a lot of people buy the pickets for siding! I do that too! I am building another coop with 'western red cedar dog eared pickets' from Lowes for the siding. You can paint it or leave it to grey out. I paint mine-- but only because I have a color theme going on here. [​IMG] I used masonite siding for my large coop, but the fence pickets are fast and easy to work with (and cheaper) on the smaller coops)

10. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    We used treated for the body of the coop and hurricane straps and i painted the siding and door with barn paint, my coop has been knocked down twice due to storms and a tornado and the 3rd time we re-built used the hurricane straps and it has with stood 90 mile an hour straight line winds and a major storm 2 weeks ago and it's still standing so the more support you can give it the better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by