Treating a wounded duck anyone?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CollegeGirl3, Oct 4, 2016.

1. CollegeGirl3

CollegeGirl3 Just Hatched

May 30, 2016
    Hey y'all! So yesterday morning, two big labs came into our yard and decided to play with our ducks (they're free-range, I guess, as we don't cage them anymore, and they have the freedom to wander about the property as they please). Our one Peking ("Runner") got caught by one or both of the dogs before we could get out there. Her back is torn up pretty bad, and she has gashes on both her haunches (hips?) just above her feet. But she stopped bleeding pretty quickly and we got some anti-septic and Blue Koat on her. She seems to be alert and will even kinda hiss and bite at dad or I when we get to close (oh, btw, she's currently inhabiting my bathtub)...

However, her left eye seems to be blind, but isn't cloudy and still dilates when we shine a light into it, and there've been a couple times when she'll act like she's trying to get a drink, but she isn't actually getting any water in her mouth and she won't swallow. Just wondering if any of y'all have some experience with this kind of thing and if you've got any advice. Much appreciated!!!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    She may be in shock.

I would give her some time floating in a tub of lukewarm water - it cheers them up, cleans them up, and gives them a little help healing.

I would also put some electrolytes in her water for a couple of nights.

Be sure to check closely around her vent and under her wings for puncture wounds.

Be ready to give oral antibiotics in case an infection sets in.

Rinsing wounds with mild saline solution a few times a day, in addition to some antibiotic ointment should really help. Storey's Guide recommends trimming feathers around the edges of wounds down to about a half an inch so you can monitor and treat things better.
    [​IMG]

3. CollegeGirl3

CollegeGirl3 Just Hatched

May 30, 2016
    Thank you! Another question for you then... How would you recommend trimming feathers? Just with a pair of scissors or are there special feather clippers I'll need to pick up?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by