I have a 12-year-old African gander that has been in good health since I bought him as a young adult. A few years ago, he developed a case of bumblefoot, with a small "bumble" on the side of an outer toe. It didn't impeded his walking, stayed localized, and I decided then that treating it might be more complicated than leaving it be. Now, though, I've noticed that the infection has doubled in size and while it is still on the side of the foot, I'm concerned about the infection itself over time. I'm trying to decide whether to put the gander on a course of injected penicillin. I always keep a bottle of fresh penicillin in the refrigerators for emergencies, but I have always been hesitant to give my birds any kind of systemic medication unless it's absolutely necessary. My questions are -- Should I treat him at this point? Has anyone here ever had to use injectible treatments for bumblefoot on a goose or duck, and if so, how did you manage the treatments? Thanks for any input!