1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

treating chickens with Ivermectin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Miss Lydia, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I haven't actually seen any lice or mites but some of my hens are scratching their heads alot, and it's not because I asked them a question they can't answer LOL. I want to treat with ivermectin but don't know the dosage or which kind pour on or injectable? Would appreciate any advise. Thank you

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Since you have quite a few chickens, I recommend Ivomec injectable 1% cattle ivermectin. Mix 4cc/ml per gallon of water and set it out for 2 days. The mixture is the only water your chickens get during those 2 days, change it out as necessary with the same dosage if the water gets contaminated. For lice/mites, retreat in 14 days...same dosage, same amount of time. Edited; If your feed store doesnt carry it, you can order it online from jeffers livestock. They also have a phone number to call that's on their website.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  3. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thanks for the advise, now for my next question can the ducks drink this too? They are all together.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I dont know much about ducks....you might want to ask that question in the waterfowl or duck section, sorry.

5. Kasia

Kasia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    New Orleans
    I treat all my chickens, ducks and birds together and never had a problem.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thanks Kasia, now I need to know do you do it the same as dawg 53? I am just a little worried about the ducks and goose. But today I see them scratching their heads too so need to do something asap. They have swimming water too. Go figure!

7. Kasia

Kasia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    New Orleans
    Yes, I do it exactly like dawg53. Except my Ivermectin came from the vet and I treated them for 3 days then repeat two weeks later. I have 3 geese as well, and starlings that all drink from the same waterers. So eveyone on my flock, big and small, got treated at the same time.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    The only reason I didn't use the ivermectin in their water is the ducks get their water so nasty, and a few will even climb into the buckets to bathe even though they have a nice little pool to bathe in, Silly girls. So I got the pour on and used it and it worked well for me. I'll do it again in 2 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by