Treating chickens with Strongid?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Meghalu, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Meghalu

Meghalu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    The Okanagan
    Hey folks, I'm just wondering if anyone has dewormed their chickens with Strongid. I have a listless, pale combed, underweight 12 week old pullet that still eats and drinks. I'm thinking worms. I have Strongid for my dogs and cats so I just figured I'd use that. The local feed store only has equine oral paste ivermectin, I was thinking of following up with that in a couple weeks. Any other suggestions?

2. Meghalu

May 2, 2011
    The Okanagan
    Update: pullet in question has worsened overnight, now has diarrhea and found some streaks of blood in poop. More lethargic, wings drooping, although still eats well. Is this pointing towards cocci, or do you think it is from the Strongid treatment? I dosed her with 2 cc's of Strongid last night. Directions for cats and dogs say 1 cc/lb of body weight. Also, now my other LB pullet is becoming lethargic with tail feathers drooping. Same symptoms as first. Any ideas? Any suggestions? Does my initial diagnosis of worms make sense? First pullet is on day 4 of being sick.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  4. Meghalu

May 2, 2011
    The Okanagan
    I actually think I'm dealing with mites, because I have now found mites on my sick pullet. I re-examined the poops in her hospital cage and I think what I took for bloody stool was just the normal intestinal shedding, as shown in the "poo chart". So I'm going to start by dosing everyone with Ivermectin, because that's what I have access to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by