Treating coccidiosis?

extraordinaryfowl

Songster
8 Years
Sep 6, 2011
Lancaster, PA
Hello all,

A young bird (around 4 weeks) just died, and the other 5 look lethargic. Some of their poop on their feeder is bloody, I believe they have Coccidiosis. How would it be best to treat this? They are not too interested in food or water. Just this morning they seemed fine, and this evening when I went to feed them they seem, as stated above very lethargic. I also recently raised their heat lamp, not sure if that triggered it, but I lowered that again too. I've never had any problems from this. Any help appreciated. Thanks, MW

Also, I do not raise my birds on medicated feed. I understand that there is a risk of cocci when this is done - One other thing I though of, I have Amprol for older birds, is there a dosage appropriate for young ones?

Last edited:
Cocci's common, and usually responds to treatment with Sulmet (affordable, water-soluable treatment available everywhere), or Corrid (not sure about this b/c I never see it for sale 'round here) I don't know about Amprol but unless chicks are >2wks old, I'd go for the adult dosage. Cocci's very bad when it emerges at 4 - 5 wks. Much harder to treat, much quicker to kill. It can wipe out your whole brood. I lost 16 chicks to an outbreak 6 years ago. You will need to be very tough to make your little ones well, and you may not be able to save them all.

If they are refusing water, then you probably have to force-feed them. Maybe a medicated-water-strawberry-smoothie delivered via slow oral syringe (like the kind sold for babies), medicated-pumpkin mash spread inside their mouths via popsicle stick, or medicated-water-soaked bread balls pushed down their gullet (my personal favorite way to get food into a sick chicken who will not eat). And always offer a gentle beak dip into the medicated water while you feed them.
In addition, make the medicated water available to them, and maybe elevate it to keep droppings out (droppings being how cocci spread).
When I have medicated water for reluctant drinkers, I like to make sure they have plenty of heat so they will drink the water. Heat also helps their immune response a little, since their body can use its calories for immune stuff and not body temperature. It's also calming to them to be warm when ill. So my advice is 1) keep them warm, and 2) get some meds in them ASAP, any way you can, and 3) keep the med-water handy after you make them eat/drink it so they can have more at will. Good Luck!!

And moving the light couldn't have brought this on. It's a protozoan, and once levels of the protozoa get high enough, the ill effects start. Don't stop to blame yourself for a second - just focus on getting your babies well. I'm keeping fingers crossed for you.
fl.gif

Quote:
Thank-you for the help! I did give them an adult dosage with a syringe and it immediately helped, only two died (within an hour). The rest I think would have been dead by morning, but now they are all looking better. I have heard that birds with coccidiosis never generally grow to their full potential. Have you had any experience with this? These are young from a very good pair of Dominiques and I will grow them out anyway to see what I get. Thanks, MW

The birds I had that survived cocci in chickhood seemed to be just fine as adults. I think if they live with cocci for a long time during the very developmental weeks/months, it can affect their development, but there are a lot of other factors that can make a difference, too - environmental factors, each bird's immune system, even temperament. Definitely worth growing them out to see!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom