Treating Diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lisa-Lu, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Lisa-Lu

Lisa-Lu Songster

Feb 14, 2019
    Southwest Virginia
    My sweet red sex link has nasty diarrhea, yellow water is more like it. I gave her probiotics in her water day before yesterday, and wet mash. She wouldnt eat the wet mash yesterday, I did get her to eat some mealworms yesterday. Started electrolytes this morning. She is lethargic and stands with her eyes closed or lays in the coop all day long.

I saw that white rice is good for them? Is there anything else I can do?

A little background: they were all wormed a couple months ago and until now her poo has been normal and she is my best eater. my hens are having laying issues and I have changed their food twice in the last 3 months, now I've read that protein increases can cause the diarrhea....that I was trying to fix the laying issues with....

RhodeIslandRed5 likes this.
  2. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    If you are cutting back on protein, cut back on the mealworms. Mealworms have a lot of protein.

This could be a sign of coccidiosis. I would start administering Corid right away! IMG_20190613_174008.jpg Also, how old is your chicken and when did she last lay? Changes in their diet can cause diarrhea.

3. Lisa-Lu

Lisa-Lu Songster

Feb 14, 2019
    Southwest Virginia
    She is 9 months old, she last laid Thursday, the 13th. The diarrhea started the next day.

4. Lisa-Lu

Lisa-Lu Songster

Feb 14, 2019
    Southwest Virginia
    What is the dosage of the Corrid and are there different solutions?

5. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    This is the liquid Corid. You can put a teaspoon in a gallon of water, or administer undilluted orally through a dropper by a couple of drops three times a day. However, @Eggcessive would have a better suggestion. @Eggcessive? Corid dosage, please!

6. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    If this problem is coccidiosis, it must be treated as soon as possible. In the meantime, try giving her a nutrient rich treat like scrambled egg(no salt added). And if you have any fresh oregano handy, that can help booster immune system.

7. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    This Corid can be bought at Tractor Supply if you have one of those stores nearby.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Corid dosage is 10 ml or 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Coccidiosis is usually seen in younger chickens, but sometimes in older birds with immune problems. Does you hen lay eggs? How old is she? Rice doesn’t have a lot of nutrition, but adding it to buttermilk, it can help with diarrhea. Do you have any pictures of her droppings, and do you have a vet who could do a fecal flout on some droppings today? Many hens can suffer from reproductive disorders, and diarrhea may be a side effect.

9. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    See, I knew he'd have a better suggestion. He's smart. I'm a dunce. :(:he

10. Lisa-Lu

Lisa-Lu Songster

Feb 14, 2019
    Southwest Virginia
    She seems a little better today and the yellow diarrhea has stopped but it's still liquid with just traces of poo in it. I'm fixing her some scrambled eggs right now and I so hope she is on the mend!

RhodeIslandRed5 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: