Treating entire flock of birds...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sshavney, Nov 30, 2011.

1. sshavney

sshavney Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Liberty Mounds, OK
    I have found two hens so far (one Monday the other one Tuesday night) that have the gurgling breathing sound, runny nose and watery eye. I have seperated them and each have received a dose of LA200 so far.

I listened in the coop for a while last night and did not hear any more similar sounds. I occasionally have heard some sneezing(a few days before), but nothing I was alarmed about. I have had them all (except the two seperated) on Durmycin for about 4 days because of that sneezing I heard and because they are not willing to get out of the very cold rain.

Any other ideas on what I could be doing or what I should not be doing? Any other meds to use?

2. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    Tylan is widely used for respiratory stuff, but it has variable efficacy. Baytril is the best antibiotic to use, but hard to get. But if the duramycin is working then I wouldn't switch.
    There is this stuff called poultry Rx remedy and it has a vicks vapo rub like action, you can put it in the water and it might help. You can also use it directly on the chicken...it has all sorts of suggestions on how you can use it in the pamphlet it comes with. good luck!

3. sshavney

sshavney Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Liberty Mounds, OK
    Thank you. I've seen the vet rx before, I'll give it go if what I'm doing isn't working in the next couple of days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by