Treating eye infection

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilkieCanada, Jun 10, 2011.

1. SilkieCanada

SilkieCanada Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    I suspect a group of my chickens have eye infections. They have been getting treatment for cocci and getting amprol. That cleared up. However today I see that they got really goupy eyes. And dirts getting stuck to the mucus. Should I treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic? I heard it could be fungal and or bacterial as well. I have some anti fungul meds (copper sulfate powder) and I have sulfa drugs for bacterial infection. Should I mix up a batch of everything? Since I dont know if its fungal eye infection, bacterial eye infection etc.... What would some of you experiences chicken keepers do?

2. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    ive always used terramycin for eye problems.its great stuff...

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I would first flush their eyes with saline solution to remove dirt/debris, then apply terramycin eye ointment as kyrose suggested.

4. SilkieCanada

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    Does it require the eye oitment? Can I get away with just putting antiobiotic into their drinking water? Just asking because its easier at the moment to do that. I have some water soluble antibiotics to just add to the water. Was hoping not to make another drug purchase unless I had too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2011
  5. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    i have use duramycin with the terramycin but i dont know if just the duramycin would work alone.the flushing with saline then using the terramycin is really the best option..

6. SilkieCanada

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    Quote:Ok ill have to pick some up then. Thanks guys.

7. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:Ok ill have to pick some up then. Thanks guys.

good luck...[​IMG]

8. SilkieCanada

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    alright wait a minute, one of them also has a runny nose and another one is sneazing. Sound familiar to anyone? eyes, nose, and sneazing may or may not be related to the coccidiosis I just treated?

9. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    may be a respitory thing.if thats the case i would use antibiotics in the water and possibly the terramycin,but understand if it is a resp. thing it cant be cured and your birds will forever be carriers.i have this in my flock so i closed the flock.some might tell you to cull but i havent had much of a problem.but before you start any antibiotic make sure you dont have a big dust problem because that can cause those things also.i know its been very hot and dry here,creating alot of dust..

10. SilkieCanada

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    Quote:so after 7 days on antibiotics they will still carry some kind of respitory problem? Will they always have watery eyes? Or just in their blood, no symptoms? That sucks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by