Treating eyes for fowl pox

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crystal1957, Nov 5, 2010.

1. crystal1957

crystal1957 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Tallahassee
    If a hen has a closed eye with the fowl pox (comb has clear pimple like growths), what is the best way to treat the eye so it can open again?

2. crystal1957

Jun 24, 2009
    Tallahassee
    Should I also assume that it is wet pox and check the throat since the eye is effected?

3. crystal1957

Jun 24, 2009
    Tallahassee
    P.S. Just checked her again--she has a fox pox pimple growth on the outer eyelid--the eye that is closed. Isn't there a medicated eye ointment for chickens and would that help at this point?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    you can get medicated eye ointment at the feed store it is in a little tube, I have never had fowl pox in my flock so Im not sure what to tell you, but I dont see how it could hurt.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You can use plain old Neosporin ointment too.

6. crystal1957

Jun 24, 2009
    Tallahassee
    thanks

7. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Our Martha had that. She ultimately lost use of her right eye, and the right side of her face never fully recovered. I mean, it's not still red or yucky or anything, but it turned white where the pox fell off & it left her blind on that side. It has been 2 months since she got over the fowl pox, but the eye is permanently damaged. She has always been a sickly chicken, though. I doubt she'll ever lay. She's been here almost 6 months and was about 6 weeks old when we got her, but she's not any bigger or more developed than my 13-week-old mutt pullet. We really need to cull her, but she's DH's baby & he doesn't have the heart to do it. We agreed when we got chooks that he would do the culling as he has done it before, no big deal.... except that when he was a kid and had chickens, they weren't pets & didn't have names. He can't bring himself to give Martha The Mole the serious neck-pulling she needs.

But, as long as she's eating and drinking and pooping and foraging for bugs and stealing treats from our hands, I guess we'll just keep her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by