Treating for Cocci, but what if it is just intestinal lining??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PamB, Jul 29, 2010.

1. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Will the Sulmet hurt my babies if they don't have Cocci?? I suspected that one had that because of bloody stools, but now I'm not so sure. I was just reading online where it said if there were no other symptoms, then the blood is most likely due to sheding of intestinal lining and it is nothing to worry about. My chick with the bloody poo has no other symptoms. I am giving them all Sulmet just in case. Will this harm them if there is no Cocci????

2. le neige homme

le neige homme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Quote:You might check out a Google image search for "cecal poop". (I think I spelled that correctly...p-o-o-p?)

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Sulmet is pretty hard on their little digestive tracts.
    Give them some unflavored yogurt to help soothe any irritation it might cause.

4. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Ok, I will get the yogurt for them. I think I will just continue treating them. I really can't be sure what it is. I guess it is better to be safe. They are all running around, eating, drinking, pecking, scratching, acting totally normal except for these bloody poops I keep seeing.

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I could be wrong on this, but it seems to me this is a circular problem-you keep treating for cocci and keep getting bloody poos-I'm wondering if the prolonged treatment with Sulmet hasn't damaged their intestinal lining which is what's actually CAUSING the bloody poo?
    I could be wrong here, but it's just a thought.
    After 3 weeks on Sulmet, I don't think cocci is the problem.

6. le neige homme

le neige homme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
  7. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Quote:No, the blood is red. So, now I'm thinking I'm doing the right thing with the sulmet. I'm am very happy to report that they are all still acting very healthy and the one that has the bloody poop is still acting normal and doesn't appear sick at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by