Treating for lice in extreme cold?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SIMZ, Jan 22, 2013.

1. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Hi everyone. We're not having a good chicken day..... One of our girls died this morning unexpectedly, so we went out and started checking everyone over really well. To our horror (GROSS! [​IMG]), we discovered lice crawling around on some of the birds. According to the pictures I've found, this appears to be a new infestation (no eggs, scabs, etc.).

My question is whether we should immediately dust them with Seven in this cold snap (9 today, 5 tonight), or wait until tomorrow when it's a bit warmer. Tomorrow the high will be around 20 and the low in the teens, which is more normal for here.

Could the lice have killed our seemingly healthy year old White Rock?

Thanks in advance!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I doubt that waiting a day for more tolerable temperatures will cause any problems. Unless the infestation is MASSIVE (what you have described does not appear to be so), I doubt that the lice caused your hen's death.

3. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Thank you so much! I'll get what I need today and plan on treating them tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by