Treating for lice...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by brusternme, Apr 7, 2011.

1. brusternme

brusternme Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2010
    I wonder if someone could help me. I have been treating my 7 hens and one roo with poultry dusting powder. I treated them last Thursday and again this Thursday. While treating, I still noticed some eggs on them. Should I retreat next week if I can still see soom eggs or have I treated them enough? I don't want to do them any harm. Thank you for your help!

2. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:Have you also treated the coop and run?

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    The dust doesn't remove the egg casings. Liquified coconut oil disolves them though.
    sharon

4. Dare 2 Dream Farm

Dare 2 Dream Farm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2011
    For lice we dusted once a week for three weeks and the problem was gone. The incubation period of the eggs is four to seven days. However, even after the egg hatches you will notice some "dander" around the base of the feather that will remain until it is washed off or the chicken molts. The best indicator is after repeated dustings for a few weeks the egg mass at the base of the feathers is less dense and there are no visible lice. It is not a hard problem to nip in the bud. On another note, if you use poultry dust, us permetherin, not carbaryl.

http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Chemical.jsp?Rec_Id=PC32816

I don't like all the skulls and crossbones, but read it for yourself!!!

5. brusternme

Jul 18, 2010
     Thank you all so much! I have treated the coop also. Took every thing out and washed down with a weak solution of bleach water. Then dusted it with the dusting powder. Retreated the coop and the birds yesterday. It did look like the eggs (lice) were less dense yesterday, but will treat again next week. Still have one girl that is acting lethargic though. Hoping she will perk back up soon. She is the reason that I even found the lice problem. How long do you think that it will take for her to perk back up? As you can tell, I am new to raising chickens, but love it so much. I love this forum, it is so very helpful! Thank you all for your help! 

6. theFox

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    See if you can get the bird that seems to be affected the most a bit of additional protein. It may take sometime if she has to play low hen at the feeder because the scramble isn't there at the moment. Some vitamins without iron and electrolytes wouldn't hurt either.

7. brusternme

Jul 18, 2010
    thank you for your help. She gets BOSS every day. What other type of protien should I give to her? I let them all out to scratch around the yard today, she stayed by herself and just sort of stood around not interested much. She is not laying any eggs and her poo is very slimy and runny.

8. theFox

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Have you checked for evidence of worms or other intestinal tract parasites?

She could have had more than just lice.

Unless you specifically gave the bird its own supply of BOSS she would likely get pushed out of the way.

Perhaps you should post a question in the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures section of the forum.

The long and short of it is that she needs individual treatment.

9. brusternme

Jul 18, 2010
    Thank you once again! I will post on another thread!

10. leenie

leenie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Springfield, VA
    Actually nixing the eggs around the feather base is the easiest part. Apply warm virgin coconut oil by dropper or spray and they will all be gone/dead by morning. Promise.

Nix lice and their eggs all at once.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by