54renihanmeadows

In the Brooder
May 8, 2021
Hey everybody,
I posted yesterday about my chicken being sick and we came to the consensus that she was suffering from ascites. I just performed the liquid withdrawal procedure with a syringe and got 105ml(3.5 fl oz) out of her(well within the safe range). Unfortunately, I had to stick her 3 times to do so since I struggled to get the end of the syringe off.
My question is: Is it OK that she is leaking the yellow liquid while standing up? Should I put a band aid on the area to help close the puncture wounds?

Attachments

• 20210509_094320.jpg
    20210509_094320.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210509_095454.jpg
    20210509_095454.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
It's OK that she's still leaking. That will allow more of the fluid to drain. It's sometimes done that way on purpose so that it drains slowly and reduces the risk of shock. I would not bandage. Keep her on some clean towels until the leaking stops. Once it stops on it's own, you can put a dab of plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment on the sites.
As mentioned in your other thread, ascites is a symptom caused by another issue going on, so it will likely recur as the underlying condition is still there. Draining can make them more comfortable for while, but whatever ails her will continue to progress. I've had birds live for as much as 18 months before passing, but some went much quicker than that.

It's OK that she's still leaking. That will allow more of the fluid to drain. It's sometimes done that way on purpose so that it drains slowly and reduces the risk of shock. I would not bandage. Keep her on some clean towels until the leaking stops. Once it stops on it's own, you can put a dab of plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment on the sites.
As mentioned in your other thread, ascites is a symptom caused by another issue going on, so it will likely recur as the underlying condition is still there. Draining can make them more comfortable for while, but whatever ails her will continue to progress. I've had birds live for as much as 18 months before passing, but some went much quicker than that.
Ok, good. Thanks for getting back to me. I've accepted that this is only a treatment and not a cure. I just want her as happy and comfortable as possible. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom