treating leg mites in volume update..problem toe

welasharon

Crowing
9 Years
Jun 28, 2010
North Florida
So, I knew better but looked anyway..There is a place here that has recreated an old community. In it they have chickens. The chickens have leg mites so bad some are missing toes. The fellow there said he is putting kerosene on them. No way in hades is that old guy catching all those chickens and treating them one by one. I am not stupid. So, I can't walk away and mind my own so I need a solution. Any ideas? I only have seven dust and pour on ivomec but will buy whatever I need to most effectively and easily treat these poor chickens. It is not possible to catch them all so hands on is out.
sharon

Last edited:
How do you get it on them? I don't think that catching them and treating them is going to be an option. They have chickens and turkeys mixed in an open air/coop/pen enclosure and these birds are not the least bit pets.

These chickens are in a compound area. Locked at night. So there is nothing effective that doesn't involved the handling of each chicken? I was hoping I could buy something and take it and say here is how to do it....I really don't think that guy is gonna catch each chicken and doctor it...obviously he already is not treating them all with kerosene. Sigh, this is the part of animal stuff that I hate. I wish everyone would take proper care of their animals. I think it is more out of ignorance than malice but they look so pitiful.
sharon

chickens don't wake up with a red light at night? You can handle them and they just stay in slumber. That is how you treat wild and you introduce new birds. Well who are you well you must have been here when I went to sleep!..... WOW I don't itch any more....how did that happen!

The problem is these are not my chickens. I went to a historic site that has old houses and some chickens in pens. I saw that some of them (many) have scaly leg mites. I made a comment to the man riding around on a golf cart with a bag of chicken feed in it that btw did he know that the chickens have leg mites. He replied yes I put kerosene on them. My concern is that he is not able/willing to treat them all individually like they need to be treated. Otherwise there would not be some without such bad legs and some with missing toes. I was hoping to be able to take him something to use that would NOT require individually treating each bird. Something that I fear he is unable/unwilling to do. I can't go busting up in there catching chickens and spraying them! LOL I guess if there is no such treatment I can maybe find out who is over the entire project and see if they are aware of the problem. I hate to not do anything.
sharon

I think what everyone is saying is that there is no way to wave a miracle over them and cure them. They need to be handled to get the meds on them. If the caretaker is unable/unwilling to do it, are you able to devote the time and energy? Is there a coop that they go into at nite? Maybe you could get permission to go in at nite and treat them. Just an idea.....

Yeah figured as much. Just not sure how to handle it. I think the old guy thinks he is doing just fine but they are not doing fine. I am not sure how to go about it. Have to figure out something. I can't just waltz in there and tell him how to take care of them. Honestly they looked so bad I was sure he hadn't noticed.
Thanks
sharon

Back
Top Bottom