Treating lice on an untame flock

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by theharve01, May 16, 2019.

1. theharve01

theharve01 Hatching

May 16, 2019
    hi, i have ordered a powdered lice treatment. but i dont know how i will administer it without been able to catch my hens, i was given the flock by a friend. but they are not that tame. they dont let you grab them. should i just try make one of them leg hooks and catch them that way. or could i just shake powder over them while they are eating.

im a new member. i have been reading posts on this website for many years. its been very helpful.

thanks for any help

trumpeting_angel likes this.
  2. Norcal527

Norcal527 Songster

Mar 22, 2019
    Sacramento area
    At night while they are roosting you should be able to grab them one at a time fairly easily to dust them and then put back on roost.

3. theharve01

theharve01 Hatching

May 16, 2019
    i have a funny coop, its on wheels. and covered on all sides. i cant actually access the roost bars. its a coop with no floor and i just wheel it to a new spot every few days. the coop is only 1 meter high. with a hen size entrance at the front. although i could probably take the roof off at night and do it. would you think the hens might try fly off in the dark and not find there way back in to the coop. thanks

4. Norcal527

Norcal527 Songster

Mar 22, 2019
    Sacramento area
    If you have it prepared in advance so there isnt a lot of noise when you take the roof off and it's dark you should be fine. Chickens go into kind of a catatonic state at night. They cant see anything so its unlikely they would move much at all.

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! The permethrin spray concentrate will be much less expensive, and easier to apply, rather than the dust. At night, with a very small flashlight, and hopefully a helper.
    Mary

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    :welcome :frow I agree. My suggestion is to spray it weekly for awhile. It doesn't kill the lice eggs but will kill the lice after they hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: