Treating Lice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buckygif, Apr 14, 2016.

1. buckygif

buckygif New Egg

Nov 24, 2015
    I normally use DE to treat my birds for lice but was wondering what other treatments are available? Ive heard Ivermectin drops can be used but also read that it wont treat chicken lice?
    Thank you!

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Sevin Dust all day long!

[​IMG]

MrsB

3. MotherhenXOXO

MotherhenXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2016
    I hope what you said about Ivermectin does not treat lice is not true because that is what I am using to treat my chickens with lice! Do you know for sure?

4. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Ivermectin is a good wormer, but should be used for external parasites only as a last resort.

Sevin dust is the way to go.

MrsB

5. MotherhenXOXO

Feb 27, 2016
    Okay,thank you!.I have been using DE Earth and Poultry Protector Spray but it simply wasn't doing the job.I also have the problem that my home probably has lice in it because I saw what looked to be the same bug on one of my guinea pig head on a bald spot.How in the world do I treat my home that is not a harsh chemical.I was thinking of buying A LOT of Poultry Protector spray and spraying EVERYTHING! Would that work or any suggestions?

6. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Sorry for the late reply!

You might search a guinea pig forum for external parasites and what to do about it... I literally have NO clue about that.

Poultry lice/mites are SUPER species-specific, and they can't live on any blood besides the poultry variety (and I'm unsure if they can even BITE you effectively).

If you feel like you have things in the carpet, I'd call an exterminator. :)

MrsB

7. MotherhenXOXO

Feb 27, 2016
    So you are saying if they are indeed lice they would only be living on Lilybug and not throughout my home?

8. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Is Lilybug the chicken or the guinea pig? :)

MrsB

9. MotherhenXOXO

Feb 27, 2016
    Lilybug is the chicken. Lol! I know you're not sure about the guineas but they definitely have some kind of parasite because the one has a bald spot on its head with what looks like dandruff.What I don't understand is when I thoroughly checked the guineas I was lucky enough to see one bug and it looked exactly like the kind my chickens had, but everyone is telling me what you said...chicken parasites only live on chickens.Ughh!!!!Well, treating the animals isn't really the problem, it's treating my house that is.I would call an exterminator but I can't afford too. Just the last two weeks I have spent about $1000 on Lily bug and she has another appointment coming up this Saturday. There is stuff out there that I can use for my home but the vet said ABSOLUTELY NO harsh chemicals around Lilybug. I don't have any carpet so DE Earth won't work.I'm more worried that they may be living in my woodwork because my home is old and needs a lot of repairs.Thank you MrsB!

10. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Could it be a little staph infection?

My dog gets little red patches of flaky skin on his belly after he lays in wet mud or grass... I put a little Povidone Iodine (from Walgreens) on the spots, and it clears up in a few days... Plus, it's okay for the animal to ingest/lick if it's in a reachable spot.

Could be worth a try!

MrsB

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by