Treating pain in a chick

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Harikts, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Harikts

Harikts New Egg

Jul 30, 2013
    Brooklyn NY
    I have a 5 day old Salmon Faverolle. She's limping and holding up one leg off and on. The leg itself looks fine, but it's clearly painful. What can I safely give her? I know aspirin is ok for adults, but given her age, is it safe for her? If so what dose can I give?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] was she like this from the time she was hatched? Or do you think the other chicks trampled her or picked on her?

5. Harikts

Harikts New Egg

Jul 30, 2013
    Brooklyn NY
    She was not that way when she hatched. She's much more fragile than the other three. I think she was injured by one or more of the other chicks. She doesn't seem to be bullied, but I've seen the other chicks run over her a few times. She can put weight on the leg, but she doesn't like it. It is a little swollen and slightly bruised. I'm fairly certain this is a soft tissue injury, and it will heal fine. I just feel really bad that she's in pain!

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] You can safely give chickens baby aspirin, but I have no idea what a safe dosage would be for such a small chick. If the injury's not too severe I think just try and keep her comfortable, make sure she eats and drinks and doesn't get pushed around by the others. Chicks usually recover very quickly from injuries.

7. Harikts

Harikts New Egg

Jul 30, 2013
    Brooklyn NY
    Thank you! She really is doing well except for the leg. She is able to get to food and water. I'll just monitor for now. Thanks for the help!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by