Treating Parasites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sagenovese, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Sagenovese

Sagenovese Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2016
    Symptoms:

Sorry to re-start a thread that is all over this site. But, as so many others have found, there is so much conflicting information that I feel overwhelmed and paralyzed as to which route to take. Additionally, while there is a lot of advice, there seems to be little follow through.

My birds seem mostly healthy and active. Four of the five adult hens have pale combs... 3 have recently moulted. 2 are only 33 weeks old and one of them is broody. The other is a bantam Mille Fleur D'uccle and she seems sad and lonely as I have lost several hens to predators this year including her boyfriend.

Additionally, I have 5 chicks that are 9 weeks old. (Total number of birds is 10) They are free-ranging with the 5 adults and all is well with interactions but each group returns to their own familiar coop at night.

I know that my hens have lice. I can see them. And one hen (Easter Egger) has some egg-cementing on the feather base. I have treated numerous times with DE (Diatamaceous Earth). I do believe that this works. The lice are always gone fairly quickly. But it must be repeated many times... I think once a week because there are always more hatching and the DE only kills ones it comes into contact with. The DE doesn't last and the new nits hatch and the cycle continues. I have also sprayed Poultry Protector in the coop when treating birds with DE.

I have no way to know, but I suspect that I may have other parasites, as well. Perhaps mites? I see my chickens scratching even when I have repeated DE a few times and see no active crawling lice on their bodies. I understand mites are smaller and harder to see. I heard you might only see them at night. After dark when I check, I often see chickens scratching and sometimes shaking their heads but I don't see anything there when I look down in between their feathers.

I have seen repeating of blood spots in one particular chicken's eggs (Black Copper Marans). Is this a symptom of internal parasites? Or is this just her?

I also have one chicken with a very ragged tail (A different Easter Egger from the one with cemented lice eggs). I was concerned. Was she ratting her own tail because she was itchy? Was it damaged from parasites? Was it a sign she was starting to moult. Well, sure enough, she did moult. She has beautiful new feathers... EXCEPT the ratty tail feather. It never came out and still there looks more hideous than ever. Is this Depluming Mites?

Solutions:

I dusted birds with DE but if internal parasites, too, that won't help. I used Wazine in drinking water back in June (5 months ago) as I was suspicious there was a problem. I sprayed coop thoroughly with Poultry Protector.

I bought Ivermectin Cattle Pour-on. But have been very hesitant to use it. I can't get consistent info on concentration of product with dosing. Some people dose with "drops" others use actual measurements but I am still thoroughly confused. Too little will cause resistance. Too much is harsh and potentially harmful.

I like Kathy Mormino's youtube video on treating chickens with Elector PSP but wow, that stuff is expensive! I mostly appreciated that she really showed you start to finish how she does it so I think I could do this with confidence. I also like the youtube video on Ivermectin by SelfSufficientMe on Worms, Mites and lice but he doesn't tell the concentration of his ivermectin.

What to do?

Help, please.
    Thanks!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    DE has some effect on lice but since there are eggs, it won't have any effect on them. I limit DE use to nest boxes and coop bedding.
    When chickens molt or are broody. Their combs will pale and shrink. That is because only birds in production will have large bright red combs.

If I could see lice and eggs, I'd give my chickens some relief and be using something that would kill the lice once and for all.
    I would use a permethrin spray or 5% Sevin dust. I would be especially concerned with the broody because she is a sitting duck and unless she has a good dust bath available, they could kill her.
    When you do this, you have to treat all the birds AND thoroughly clean your coop treat it and put down new bedding. Then treat the birds 5 and 15 days later.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1139917/lice-and-mites/20#post_17805560

As for worming. Wazine is only for roundworms. I personally never treat for worms unless fecal samples show they actually have worms and what kind. So basically, I've only treated 3 chickens in my life.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1090991/worms-and-worming-warning-graphic-pictures-and-videos

3. Sagenovese

Mar 25, 2016
    Thanks! I wish I knew why Sevin Dust is not being used anymore. I can't find it... only something called "Worry Free". But not heard of anyone using it.

Forgot to say that the product that I bought and was going to use (but can't find consistent dosage/concentration) is
    Ivermectin Cattle Pour-on 5 mg/ml

But, also unsure if Ivermectin will treat lice, mites, depluming mites.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

The chicken chick gets kick backs on the Elector PSP when people order in by clicking on her link. It's probably only 4%, but thought you should know...

Ivermectin... I am very anal about dosing, so I would dose based on weight. The cattle dose on the label is 0.045 ml per pound (0.5 mg/kg), and I think it would be safe to use up to twice that topically.

Ivermectin will treat poultry lice, that I am 100% sure of. When I give it orally to my peafowl lice are gon in 24 hours, but with chickens it's 24-72 hours. One treatment seems to last several weeks. My peafowl friends have confirmed the topical ivermectin treats lice.

-Kathy

5. Sagenovese

Mar 25, 2016
    The dosage on my lable says 1 mg per 22 pounds body weight but of course that is for cattle and the lable also says not to use this on any other species. So, using your dosage, 0.5 mg/kg... please check me here.

OK. If I am doing my math right, my 5.0 pound hen is about 2.25 kg.
    If I need 0.5 mg per kg, then I need just over 1 mg of cattle pour-on to effectively treat my 5 pound hen. Do you agree?

Thanks and sorry for being so needy here.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by