Treating possible cocci in ducks and chickens

balloon master

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2022
Two days ago my hen passed, her droppings were very watery and yellow. She had first started acting unwell about the day before and she stopped eating and was drinking lots. Unfortunately the vets aren’t able to do anything for us as they said that they don’t usually have any calls with hens so I am still unsure of what she had, Though I am worried about it being cocci. I have my hens and ducks in with each other for a while each day and am not sure if it was in fact cocci, should i dose both my hens and ducks with coxoid. I ordered a bottle of coxoid just to be cautious and it has just arrived today but i’m contemplating whether it is safe to dose everyone with it for a week. Can ducks have coxoid? and should i dose everyone even if i am not completely sure if it is cocci :) any help would be appreciated, thanks:)

I read you can also give ducks corid. I fix a bucket for my chickens and the goose drinks it...well most of it actually and she was fine. It's easier to medicate the chickens without a water bird, because waterfowl spills so much of it.
Male ducks (drakes) should not be in with chickens, if you didn't know because male ducks can kill hens via mating...I've heard.

I read you can also give ducks corid. I fix a bucket for my chickens and the goose drinks it...well most of it actually and she was fine. It's easier to medicate the chickens without a water bird, because waterfowl spills so much of it.
Male ducks (drakes) should not be in with chickens, if you didn't know because male ducks can kill hens via mating...I've heard.
thanks so much for your help, i don’t have any drakes and thankfully everyone seems to get on well:)

Two days ago my hen passed, her droppings were very watery and yellow. She had first started acting unwell about the day before and she stopped eating and was drinking lots. Unfortunately the vets aren’t able to do anything for us as they said that they don’t usually have any calls with hens so I am still unsure of what she had, Though I am worried about it being cocci. I have my hens and ducks in with each other for a while each day and am not sure if it was in fact cocci, should i dose both my hens and ducks with coxoid. I ordered a bottle of coxoid just to be cautious and it has just arrived today but i’m contemplating whether it is safe to dose everyone with it for a week. Can ducks have coxoid? and should i dose everyone even if i am not completely sure if it is cocci :) any help would be appreciated, thanks:)
I just went through that with my baby chicks and dosed all of them for 6 days. Then do poultry cell for 2 weeks all of them are fine now. So dose everyone.

Back
Top Bottom