Treating Respiratory Infection & antibiotic dosage

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lohmanbrown, Apr 14, 2018.

1. lohmanbrown

lohmanbrown Hatching

Apr 14, 2018
    Hi all,

I'm fairly certain my one chicken has a respiratory infection and I've been giving her 100mg of amoxicillin twice a day for 3 days. SHe has not improved though. Her symptoms are sneezing and opening her mouth to breath. I worry she won't make it. She has always been extremely fussy (I tried feeding her everthing!) and underweight before she became ill - so she's at a disadvantage to fighting illness. (I'm giving her high protein foods to help her - eggs, pilchards or viennas each day). She has still been laying large eggs every day and I wish she wouldn't so that she can use the energy to gain weight.

How many days should one give antibiotics for? ... I've now got myself in a pickle because I have run out of amoxicillin meds and I can't purchase it anywhere. Instead, I have 'Dovabiotic' which is contains the Doxycycline antibiotic. Should I put her on this new antibiotic or should I leave her now after she has had 3 days of the amoxicillin meds?

any help is much appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: