Treating Scaly Leg Mites in 60+ Birds

Pics

Redhead Rae

Chickens, chickens everywhere!
7 Years
Jan 4, 2017
Braxton County, WV
I just found something that HORRIFIES ME.... possible scaly leg mites. Why is this horrifying? I currently have 99 birds.

:hit

I think they’ve gotten infested because this late winter/spring has been so wet. I noticed lifted leg scales while working to move my chickens off their winter quarters (our garden) onto greener pastures (literally a pasture).

I’m hoping that my 27 chicks that are less than 7 weeks old are fine. They haven’t been in direct contact with the main flock. The 19 <11 day old chicks are still inside. The 18, 7 week olds are in the outdoor coop, but it is dry. They haven't yet been given access outside. I haven’t given them a close check yet.

The question, how do I treat so many birds?

I know the process:
  1. Warm Epsom salt soak, 20 min
  2. Scrub feet
  3. Dry feet
  4. Dip in oil
  5. Repeat in one week
  6. Repeat in one month
I've been thinking about it and here is what I'm thinking
  1. Soak 10-15 chickens at a time in a container where they have no choice but to stand in the water. Kiddy pool surrounded by wire with a lid.
  2. Have an assembly line set up for scrubbing, drying, oiling.
  3. Shut the birds out of the coop once done.
  4. Clean and spray the coops
  5. rinse and repeat at in one week and one month
I won't be implementing this plan until we have a nice warm day on a weekend or a Monday (my day off). I don't think any of the birds are in dire straits yet.

We will also be revamping our dust boxes. They kept getting wet and, I'm sad to say, we didn't correct the issue.

Any critiques or additions to my plan would be appreciated.

Edited to add: I feed organic so I want to treat as organically as possible. I am looking for labor saving ideas, but I am not willing to pursue chemical treatments since this isn't a life or death issue for my flock at the moment, just a major hassle.

Last edited:
I'm trying to be as organic as possible. I would rather do each bird individually than screw that up by using oral/injectable/skin absorbed chemicals if I don't need to.

I would have help (2-4 extra sets of hands) so it wouldn't be completely impossible.....

I've used it; apply a measured amount either in the mouth or on the back skin, at night. Carry a small flashlight and take each bird off the roost, treat, and put back on the roost. It goes better with two people, but it's not bad either. I used a small syringe to get the dosage right.
Ivermectin is NOT approved for use on chickens, and will be in the eggs for at least a couple of weeks (longer!), so it's got disadvantages. On the other hand, it will kill mites, lice, and several internal parasites.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom