Treating scaly leg mites

Birdwingsgirl

In the Brooder
Jan 10, 2021
Hello, it’s me again. Our Easter egger, Gertie, may now have a case of scaly leg mites. It’s not severe (thank goodness), but I would prefer to treat it so it doesn’t get to that point. The only symptom of it she has is some raised scales on the feet and about an inch or or so above the feet. She’s very active (for an 8 year old), and there’s no sign of crusty buildup that’s characteristic of scaly leg mites. I’ve looking up the best treatments for scaly leg mites. Is there a treatment that anyone on here would recommend the most?

I've been dealing with this recently in my flock. Vaseline every day for a week (two weeks if you want to be extra thorough), lay it on thick all over, all the way up the leg to the feathers. Easiest time to do this is at night--just pluck her off the roost, apply, and set her back down. Gives the vaseline time to smother any mites overnight, otherwise she'll just rub or pick it off if you put it on in the daytime.

Keep an eye on your other chickens for signs of scale lifting as they do travel from bird to bird. It would not be a bad idea to do the legs and feet of every chicken at least once just as a preventative measure. Some people do the vaseline on all chickens once a month just to keep any potential leg mites from becoming a bad problem.

I've been dealing with this recently in my flock. Vaseline every day for a week (two weeks if you want to be extra thorough), lay it on thick all over, all the way up the leg to the feathers. Easiest time to do this is at night--just pluck her off the roost, apply, and set her back down. Gives the vaseline time to smother any mites overnight, otherwise she'll just rub or pick it off if you put it on in the daytime.

Keep an eye on your other chickens for signs of scale lifting as they do travel from bird to bird. It would not be a bad idea to do the legs and feet of every chicken at least once just as a preventative measure. Some people do the vaseline on all chickens once a month just to keep any potential leg mites from becoming a bad problem.
I bought a chicken at auction, she had moderate scaly leg mites, I quarantined her when I got her home and did the 3 day gasoline and A&D treatment. My question: I've never had SLM in my flock, at what point can she rejoin the flock? Her treatment is complete. Thank you!

She can rejoin after treatment if she has already gone through a few weeks of quarantine. The mites should be dead after gasoline dip. Careful using gasoline in the future though. While it is effective for leg mites, I've read that there is a possibility of causing long term internal damage down the road if that stuff got into her blood stream through an open mite bite.

She can rejoin after treatment if she has already gone through a few weeks of quarantine. The mites should be dead after gasoline dip. Careful using gasoline in the future though. While it is effective for leg mites, I've read that there is a possibility of causing long term internal damage down the road if that stuff got into her blood stream through an open mite bite.
Ok thanks I appreciate your response.

Back
Top Bottom