Treating sour crop with homeopathy?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sara9, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Sara9

Sara9 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    I have a chicken who probably has had sour crop for a week and a half while I was on vacation. She is incredibly skinny and weighs almost nothing, so for one I'm very worried about her weight loss.
    I started puking her once and feeding yogurt (goats milk yogurt actually) and some wet feed mash. I eye dropper feed her olive oil every two hours and have been messaging her crop ever two+ hours since i puked her. But she is very weak and looks really bad. I haven't seen any signs of her getting better.
    How will I know when she is better or worse. Should I continue to puke her.
    Vets are closed today and tomorrow for labor day so I can't call to ask or get antibiotics or probiotics, but how would I know that she needs those. I don't understand this much or know how to diagnose her so worry I will keep doing the wrong things.
    My family uses homeopathy and have a book on it. Has anyone used these herbal remedies to treat this. I gave her one shot of sulfur but I read someone used nux vomica. Any thoughts, what should my next plan of action be- tip her and try to get her to throw up again since her crop is still pretty big probably with water and yogurt?
    Thanks so much, I really don't want to watch her die because I have no idea what to do.....!!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oil is used by some to treat an impacted crop (I don't recommend it,) but water is better. Sour crop is big and balloon-like, and doesn't go down by morning, and include a very foul sour odor. Vomiting a chicken is very dangerous, and if not done properly, the chicken can aspirate (choke) and die. This is even more dangerous if aspirating oil. Impacted hard crop is easier to treat than sour crop because it may include a bacterial or fungal (or both) infection. Some people have used Monistat suppositories give orally 1/3 every 12 hours for several days. I would not give any whole grains, but stick to yogurt, egg, and watery chicken feed to eat. Anti-fungal drugs such as Nystatin or Medistatin are commonly prescribed for sour crop, and your vet may also prescribe an antibiotic. Here are a couple of links to read:
    http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues.html
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/630307/sour-crop-cured-with-monistat

3. Sara9

Sara9 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    I think it will probably be best if I do start to give her Nystatin or Medistatin or another common anti-fungal treatment since from my reading it sounds like even with anything else I do, it won't go away/ only get worse if I don't. But tomorrow is labor day, do I need a vet to get an anti-fungal or antibacterial or antibiotic.....do you think waiting until Tuesday will be way to late? Would you recommend anything I could get at a drug store?
    Thanks so much!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you have fluconazole, you could use 1/2 or a 1/4 of a tablet for 3 days. Many use the Monistat suppositories orally. Medistatin is available online, but you could get Nystatin more quickly from the vet. Outcome for sour crop is not that good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by