treating vent gleet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Debs55, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 3 birds with a mild case of vent gleet (I believe) and 2 that just have red bottoms. I have a large flock (about 50) and was wondering if I could treat it by simply putting those pro biotic packets from tractor supply in there water along with some ACV?

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

First I would treat them for coccidiosis--you can try probiotics and ACV, but mostly those are preventatives. If those don't work, I would use Corid (labeled for cattle), and throw out eggs for at least 1 week.

Then, if they STILL have "poopy pants" (make sure to clip poopy feathers away from the vent after treatments so you can see if any NEW diarrhea appears), start treating for vent gleet. I have to say, you will come to know the difference between a classic case of "poopy butt" and full-on vent gleet. Vent gleet STINKS, and you will know when that hen comes anywhere near you. There will not only be diarrhea, but an extremely smelly white discharge. The hen may even develop sour crop and have stinky breath and trouble digesting her food.

Be sure to also examine them for external parasites as these can cause the red butt (skin irritation) and diarrhea. Lice are very common; usually you can see the clusters of hard white eggs at the base of feathers near the vent, but not always. You may also want to do a fecal with the vet to determine if it's internal parasites, which have the same symptoms, and treat for those.

Good luck!

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  4. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Its not coccidiosis. I treated for that less than a year ago. It may not be vent fleet because it doesn't smell and it is not bad at all. I guess I'll just do the preventatives and clean up any messy butts and see what happens

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
  6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I had one I thought had vent gleet, but turns out she had cancer. Get a glove, some lube and check the inside of her vent for obstructions, tumors, swellings, etc.

-Kathy

7. Searsmom

Searsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2014
    Dandridge, TN
    So, two of my chickens have this poopy butt. I checked on them last weekend because I wanted to make sure the vent wasn't blocked. No nasty smell, no reddened vent, no swelling, no lethargy, no standing around. This is 2/14 chickens. They have clean water, roam where they will during daylight, have clean litter at night. The stuff that's sticking to the feathers around the vent has normal poop color. They pretty much pasture feed themselves during the day but have layer feed at night, free choice grit, free choice calcium grit (no oyster shell available). Periodically they get yogurt, which they love. Do I need to worry? Do I need to clean them off?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by