treating wry neck in silkie chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChicksNherps, Feb 10, 2013.

1. ChicksNherps

ChicksNherps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2012
    Bow, NH
    My friend has a 3 week old silkie chick with wry neck. She is giving it poly-vi-sol without iron 2-3 drops 4 times a day, and she bought some Vit E soft gels today. How much of the Vit E should she give if it is 400mg? Also, we can't find Selenium anywhere, is it essential that she buys it? If she does how much would we give it? It seems to be doing a little better, it has been getting the vitamins for 4-5 days now, it still drags it's head and it is a little swollen, but she says it has been standing more on it's own and lifting it's head when she feeds it.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

browneggblueegg.com has an article (click on articles, then "crookneck" article on left column to read) on treating wry neck (crookneck) in silkies that might be helpful to you

3. ChicksNherps

ChicksNherps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2012
    Bow, NH
    Okay so I went to see the chick yesterday and it is doing much better. It is not dragging it's head anymore for the most part, only when startled. it can stand up straight and hold it's head up now and look around. The dose she has been giving is the poly-vi-sol no iron 2-3 drops 4 times a day. should she start cutting back to 3 times a day and gradually decrease until it is better?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by