treatment cure or comfort for non-Mareks Reproductive cancer

Chickenfoundme

Chirping
Jun 25, 2016
I have a 10 month old easter egger who had been vaccinated for Meraks. After weeks of back and forth visits to the vet, about 8 weeks now, they believe she has reproductive cancer. They offered to test for it but said there was no treatment, so not necessarily suggesting it.

It began with wing drop, poor appetite and lethargy. She was diagnosed with egg peritonitis and put on an antibiotic. On a follow up visit she was put on another antibiotic and anti-parasitic. Today she is off meds and she got a wing trim since the wing drop has not improved, and despite her increase in appetite she isn't laying anymore, her abdomen is less distended since her initial visit and despite an improved appetite she hasn't gained weight.

The vet contacted a University to discuss the symptoms and believe she has reproductive cancer and suggest euthanizing her once her quality of life diminishes. She is a sweet girl and if there's anything I can do to help her, I'm open to suggestions.

Assuming the vet checked for internal egg laying and/or egg binding as well? A long shot, but parasite checked? Birds can go quick if they're under attack by pests and such. Unfortunate about the bird - was the cancer diagnosis from collected data or applied after treating for other potential maladies?

Great questions. The vet checked for internal laying. Initially that shown the infection was described to me and they did X-rays but felt it was not developed egg based on X-ray. Parasite check done amd there were parasites, also treated. Fecal test today shows no parasites. Cancer diagnosis was a deduction as part of ruling everything else out.

How long since the parasites were treated? Internal and external (mites) checked?

Have you tried a vitamin supplement like "Rooster Booster?" to see if it helps? Usually available at TSC or similar stores.

Yes mites checked and OK. Internal parasites were checked 2 weeks ago and again today and OK. She is also eating more, since at first she didn't seem to have an appetite. But she has actually lost a little bit of weight. I will check Tractor Supply for vitamin supplicant tomorrow. Thanks

She is still with us 2 days ago full of energy. Yesterday I found her twice on her side and had to help her back up. This morning she seemed good and was waking around outside and interacting with the other chickens. I did notice a couple of lice this morning on my hand after touching her. She did go into the ash-diatomiois earth sandbox and walked around but didn't dust bathe like the other chickens. I have some Manna Poultry Protector spray that I may use on her this afternoon for the lice and clean the coop out. Which I do already weekly.

And another 10 days has passed and she still seems about the same, somewhat lethargic but eating and going outside with the other chickens but for not as long and she's not very active. She's sleeping at night in a nesting box.

Any weight gain at all or still thin? Unfortunate battle for her and you. Difficult being in a holding pattern without seeing improvement while hoping a turn for worse doesn't come... She's​ held for a long time, maybe room for a sliver of optomism.

Back
Top Bottom