Treatment following Ripped off Toenail.....

dawny2u2

Songster
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
Winston, MT
Subzero temps are here, and the girls are cooped up. Saw blood all over, and found the hen who was bleeding. I brought her in, and discovered she had a toenail missing, and that was where the blood was coming from. All I had right now is Hydrogen Peroxide (I have read NO neosporin) so I cleaned her up with that, put on gauze, and wrapped it with vet tape. What else should I do? I also cleaned up all the blood in the coop, having read they go crazy over blood.

Last edited:
They peck at another chicken who has any blood on him. You did fine, except the Neosporin would have been better. You can even put her back if you watch and make sure everyone leaves the vet tape alone. Or, wait a day or two til there is no blood. BluKote is used a lot on here for small wounds because, usually, they will not peck it. If nothing else, the Neosporin will relieve some of the discomfort.

On Neosporin: Please use some, with or without pain reliever in it. Or whatever antibiotic cream or ointment you might have, unless it has a "caine" drug in it. such as benzocaine, cetacaine, novacaine, etc. I have NEVER seen it written not to use Neosporin. My, how myths escalate. There is a myth on here that you should not use the Neosporin that has pain reliever in it. But the pain reliever in Neosporin is not a "caine" drug, it is from a completely different class of drugs, and will not hurt them. I'm getting tired of typing this -- and now the myth shows up not to use Neosporin at all! There are an awful lot of chickens that would be dead but are just fine, thank you, if that were true.

Last edited by a moderator:
This happened to my silkie roo's spur. He quit bleeding quickly and no one picked on him because his fuzzy feathers covered the small wound. What breed of chicken is she? I've heard that pine tar will keep other chickens from picking too.

Back
Top Bottom