Treatment for boxwood poisoning in goats?!?!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hmlongino, Jan 28, 2012.

1. hmlongino

hmlongino Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    We had an adult female die yesterday... and we are trying to figure out what happened. Today, the other adult has a blood tinged discharge, and I am nervous.

I see where they have eaten some boxwood. Not a ton, but some.

What should I do?? I feel like, whatever the issue is, if it has affected the other one we have very little time!

2. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I am so sorry for your loss and what your going through. I just lost my registered saanen buck yesterday morning on the way to the vets. He had symptoms for less then 24 hours and was gone. :( I have no idea why or what happened. All that I could do is keep treating him for bloat here till am and that did not help.

All I can say is get the other one to the vet asap.

You can go to www.backyardherds.com and post a thread too.

Good luck and [​IMG]

3. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    Losing an animal is so hard! If you think it is poisoning, try giving something that will help dilute what is in their stomach. What ever poison control would say for your child will often work on the goat. A vet is a good option, but if it is poisoning, there won't be much they can do. I definately pull feed and just give hay. I use a homemade recipe of electrolytes and pro-bios for tummy troubles and have really good results with it.

Recipe for electrolytes:

Bring 8 cups of water to boil and let cool
    Add 2 tablespoons of corn syrup
    2 tsp baking soda
    2 tsp salt
    Once this is mixed I use a large syringe and drench with about 1/4 cup and add the pro-bios to that dose.

I hope the other one makes it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by