Treatment for Coryza? Update....they're better now!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by undertheradar, Apr 4, 2009.

1. undertheradar

undertheradar Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Update: I'm almost positive they have infectious coryza based on the smell of the mucous alone. I understand that even after treatment they will always be carriers, but seeing that these are the only two we plan on having, that doesn't bother me. I just want them to get better.

I've been reading about various treatments, but I'm confused. It seems that the Sulfadimethoxine products say that it shouldn't be used on laying hens? Is this true? We definitely want to be able to consume the eggs when they do start laying
    What about the Marvel Aid (http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=808)?
    I've heard thses suggestions too:
    Streptomycin, sulphonamides, tylosin

It would be great is anybody thats successfuly treated their chickens respond and let me know what worked.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Today we picked up two 6 month (or so they said) RIR's from a local feed store to put in the coop I just built for them. We picked them from a large coop with several dozen other hens, and chose two that appeared to be healthy and active (and almost all of them were), and overall we were pleased with the cleanliness and upkeep of the place.
    Got them home and gave them both a quick bath. I noticed that both of them seemed to have runny noses, with quite a bit of dried snot/food/dirt on their beaks. One even blew a small bubble when exhaling. The mucous is clearish white, and has a not-so great smell to it. I cleaned both of them up very carefully and we got them all settled. They both ate, drank and pooped just fine all afternoon. They both still had some leakage from their nostrils, but with everything cleaned it didn't seem to bad. Once it started getting dark they hopped in their coop (from the run) and when I last checked were fast asleep.

Now, I've been reading post after post here...and it seems that this is nothing new. I did notice a few sneezes, but there is no labored breathing and no other symptoms that I can tell. I see some references to apple cider vinegar, yogurt and eggs. Is this a seperate option than antibiotics? Should I try and get some Tylan or LS-50 and give them that?

We ( the whole family) are already attached to these sweet hens, so I want to make sure they get a clean start with us. I'd rather avoid the vet right now if there is something I can try on my own first.

Thanks for any input you might have.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

You can try Vet RX

3. undertheradar

Apr 2, 2009
    Based on the stench of their nasal discharge, I believe it to be Coryza. No other symptoms though. On sunday I started them on a run of Duramycin since it was all they had at the feed store. So far they may have improved, but I'm not too sure.

Is there something else I should put them on, and if so do I complete the run of Duramycin first?

Thanks!

4. undertheradar

Apr 2, 2009
    Bump for the update and more advice!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Dr. Peter Brown of FeatherFanciers recommeded this to someone with Coryza in the flock:

Gallimycin Powder mixed with Aureomycin/Sulmet powder as a 14 day treatment.

AUREO/SULMET POWDER – 1 TEASPOON PER GALLON OF WATER FOR 5 TO 7 DAYS. USE CAUTION AS WITH ALL SULFA DRUGS. OVERUSE MAY RESULT IN PREMANENT KIDNEY DAMAGE OR EVEN DEATH

We usually treat with Gallimycin Powder and A ureomycin/Sulmet in the drinking water for 14 days and then vaccinate with Coryza vaccine.

Not sure about the Gallimycin dosage, but maybe it's on the pkg.​

6. undertheradar

Apr 2, 2009
    Thank you....I'll look into it.

Should I finish the 7 day run on the Duramycin before doing anything else?

7. undertheradar

Apr 2, 2009
    Good news.....after 5 days on duramycin, that horrible stench is completely gone from their nostrils and the mucous is pretty much gone too. Woohoo.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Where did you buy the duramycin?

9. undertheradar

Apr 2, 2009
    They had it at the feed store where we got the hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by