Treatment for raccoon bite

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by clifhngr9169, Jun 17, 2011.

1. clifhngr9169

clifhngr9169 New Egg

Apr 30, 2011
    One of my roosters was attacked and killed by a raccoon last night. This morning I discovered another rooster sustained a fairly substantial wound to the meaty part of his leg and am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how to treat. We are fairly certain that the raccoon was not rabid.

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I never cease to be amazed at the injuries chickens can endure. I would suggest you clean the injured area and apply an antibiotic ointment. Depending upon the severity you may want to wrap the wound with an adhesive guaze to keep it clean.

3. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

I'd use peroxide once then something less- aggressive after that. I have Chlorhexidine Disinfectant Solution (see horse supplies) that I use, diluted to light blue.

4. wvfoxhunter

wvfoxhunter Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Lewisburg, WV
    you shpuld try bluecoat spay it works really well

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

If it starts to get infected use pure honey and bandage it.. then keep him away from anywhere where he might attract ants.. I know it sounds strange.. But I have treated a lot of wounds with pure honey and it works wonders.

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Quote:or bears. [​IMG]

7. Stingrayg4

Stingrayg4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    The local feed stores carry an ointment called Furazone. I've used this stuff to treat all kinds of injuries to all kinds of animals (including a chicken that had a huge chunk torn out of it by a raccoon). Works great.

-S

8. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

yeah go ahead and laugh... but i've had lots of success with honey.. and haven't seen a bear yet! [​IMG]

9. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    awww poor thing....I would be treatin that raccoon with some lead!! [​IMG]

10. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

yeah go ahead and laugh... but i've had lots of success with honey.. and haven't seen a bear yet! [​IMG]

Well I have elephant repellent in my Peanut Butter... never seen an elephant any closer then downtown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by