treatment of baby chick constipation new method

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by asif asghar, Nov 24, 2014.

1. asif asghar

asif asghar New Egg

Nov 22, 2014
    i had a baby chick who initially had pooh stuck to opening which i treated with conventional cleaning methods already in the forum but later on it developed severe constipation and he yelled out a lot. nothing seemed to work but i tried a new thing and it got fine.
    i used a round end of hair pin inserted for 0.5 cm well lubricated with vaseline and removed a portion of hardened feces.then i put 0.3 ml of laxative( SKILAX drops 03 drops only) and stool softener (susp cemaffin 0.2 ml only) both mixed in the opening using a cold drink straw cut to the length 2 cm fitted over a 3 cc syringe without needle.the bird tolerated the procedure without pain even i did not have to hold him.
    after 10 minutes it passed a lot of poody and was fine

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Glad your chick is okay!

I've only had that happen once, and it was because that particular chick decided it liked the taste of pine shavings. I used a small pair of tweezers and had to actually pull the stuff from its vent a few times a day. I think I did that for 3 or so days and then all was well (and the dum dum finally decided shavings weren't food). It was NO FUN!

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I'm glad the chick survived! That is an interesting method you used--I'm surprised it worked. It's good to know it worked though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by