Treatments for Prolapse Duck Phallus (Penis) - Under Construction

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by casportpony, Aug 9, 2018.

1. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    The purpose of this thread is to collect info on the subject and eventually turn it into an article.

In this thread I would like to see how people have treated their drakes and what their outcomes were. I would also like to see links to treatments from credible sources.

"Prolapsed Phallus Penis Prolapse Prolapsed phallus can sometimes occur in male ducks and can be trauma-induced or a clinical sign related to venereal disease. A prolapsed phallus is described as a condition in which a male duck's phallus (penis) remains outside of the body and is unable to retract back inside the body. The longer the phallus remains outside of the duck's body, the greater the risk of secondary bacterial contamination and damage to this important body part. When the phallus is outside of the body, it runs the risk of becoming enlarged and swollen, dry and ulcerating, and necrotic during advanced stages. The duck is usually acting abnormal and may appear depressed, isolate themselves, and show no desire to eat, mate, or socialize with other ducks. Prolapsed phallus is also a clinical sign that is often seen in ducks with duck plague."
    Source: http://www.duckdvm.com/condition/penis-prolapse

One avian vet wrote:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/phallus-prostration-male-prolapse-help.381872/page-2
    Causes
    • Incorrect vent sexing
    • Bacterial infection
    • Excessive use.
    • Duck Plague

This is one I did:
    DSCN0184 (Large).JPG DSCN0187 (Large).JPG DSCN0188 (Large).JPG DSCN0190 (Large).JPG DSCN0191 (Large).JPG DSCN0192 (Large).JPG DSCN0193 (Large).JPG DSCN0194 (Large).JPG DSCN0195 (Large).JPG DSCN0200 (Large).JPG DSCN0206 (Large).JPG DSCN0207 (Large).JPG DSCN0209 (Large).JPG DSCN0210 (Large).JPG DSCN0214 (Large).JPG DSCN0218 (Large).JPG DSCN0219 (Large).JPG DSCN0222 (Large).JPG DSCN0224 (Large).JPG DSCN0226 (Large).JPG DSCN0228 (Large).JPG DSCN0229 (Large).JPG DSCN0230 (Large).JPG DSCN0232 (Large).JPG DSCN0233 (Large).JPG DSCN0234 (Large).JPG

I wasnt sure what to expect, so I made three cuts. Each time I got a little braver and took off more.
    chopped duck penis.png

References -
    http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Prolapsed_Phallus.htm

Posts from other threads:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-could-this-be-phallus-prostration.1170136/
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-urgent-infected-penis-vent.1170233/

This duck died due to lack of proper treatment:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-me-pls.1250745/

"Since Vaseline works as a lubricant and moisturizer, you may be tempted to use it internally as a lubricant. Vaseline may be used externally only. It may cause infection due to the amount of petroleum and oil it contains. These products are not water soluble because they are not water-rrbased. As a result, your body may have a hard time getting rid of the petroleum jelly, which may lead to infection such as yeast infection. When used during sexual intercourse, Vaseline may cause condoms to break."

From here: https://www.leaf.tv/articles/why-is-vaseline-not-for-internal-use/

"Various studies have linked petroleum jelly with the growth of yeast which causes severe infections. A link between this product to bacterial vaginosis and pelvic inflammatory disease has also been established, rendering it unsuitable. For this reason, experts recommend the use of alternative lubricants to avoid getting such diseases."

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  2. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    I thought that was a myth that the penis falls off each year? I thought the hormones that are high during mating season make the penis and testicles become enlarged. But then the rest of the year the penis and testicles are quite small? Although I can’t remember where I read that.:confused:

3. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    Thanks for making this a thread!

4. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    @chickens really had this happen to one of her drakes and she was able to correct it.

5. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    :bow Thanks, I hadn't bothered reading the whole paragraph and just pasted it! :oops: Wow, I can't believe I did that, lol. Post #1 has had the misinformation removed!

6. Golden Brahma 64

Golden Brahma 64 Songster

Apr 28, 2018
    Ireland
    I love that show!
    :)

Thanks for posting this thread, great information

7. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    You're welcome! Looking forward to hearing how people have treated theirs.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Wrangler

Thankfully I have never had this in my Drake’s but I really like the idea of having information and treatment in an article making it easy to find it quick when and if we need it.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  9. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    It was interesting that the drake in the video was just fine after they cut most of the dead tissue off.

10. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

IMG_1103.JPG I have Call Ducks and my Drake this spring prolapsed his Penis. I was told it was due to him being older, chubby, and dry land breeding without a kiddie pool. A little over an inch was exposed. It turned black. :th
    I was at first keeping him in the house in a crate. I cool water bathed him and massaged his Penis with Vaseline twice daily. That didn't work. After 5 days and many different conversations with many different people I decided to put him back outside and see what happened?.
    Nothing happened so after two months I contacted more people and was advised to trim the dead tissue off. During this time he never got depressed or sick. He ate and was good. He was more aggressive due to being sexually frustrated though.
    I contacted a friend who then watched that same video and she snipped off the dead tissue, clamped in with her fingers and then sprayed blue kote on it. I put him into a separate pen and his Penis already retracted back inside. I was uncertain if he would ever be a breeding Drake again ? :idunno
    I kept him locked up for two full days and on the third day I released him out with the Hens. First thing he did was breed all my Hens in the kiddie pool. He is fertile without any issues. I have 15 Ducklings to prove it works..:woot..:wee
    I was also advised to not House him during winter with my Hens and always have a kiddie pool so even if he dry land breeds he will have cool water to clean and retract his Penis.
    Here is Casanova all fixed...:celebrate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: