1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

treats and egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by oldchickenlady, Sep 9, 2010.

1. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I went to go pick up hay yesterday from a man who has chickens. He sells eggs and vegetables at the farmer's market. I told him about getting my first eggs and we were just talking about feed, etc. He told me he quit giving vegetable/fruit scraps (they do a lot of canning, too) because he noticed every time he gave them the veggie/fruit peelings etc, the hens would quit laying for a day or so. Anyone else ever noticed this? I haven't read anything here about that, so thought I would ask.

2. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    I give Snowflake scraps everyday. She comes around to the back door every morning for her snack! She likes cheese, bread, boss, any leftovers. I don't give them a lot but they do enjoy it. [​IMG] Snowflake lays an egg 9 days out of 10. [​IMG]

3. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    I haven't seen any changes in egg laying, but they do get watery stools depending on what they have. They love over sized zucchini but you relly have to watch where you step;)

4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    My bo was laying 5 days a week, my cracked corn went moldy so I stopped giving it to them and she started laying 6. I haven't bought any more since. I do give table scrap but they tend to eat the meat more than veg. They free range all day

5. flash5153

flash5153 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    I see no truth in that at all.

I guess,, all chickens could be different but I feed mine these things all the time. No problem with laying.

6. Lynn in Texas

Lynn in Texas Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2010
    One of the hatchery catalogs that I received last year said not to feed fruit for the same reason that your farmer suggested. It is the only place I've ever seen that info and my chickens aren't old enough to lay yet. I'll probably do an experiment to find out if there is any validity to this.

7. fl_deb

fl_deb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    So is it just fruit? or is it fruit and veggies that are a no-no?

I have noticed when I feed nuts, my girls lay more consistantly. but I only have two laying right now, but they are 6 of 7 days a week, but they are production RIR.

It would be an interesting test, because in nature they would have access to vegetables and fruit trees in the wild.

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The problem isn't the fruits and vegetables, it's usually the volume that people give them. In a balanced diet, fruits and vegetables are good for chickens and make them healthier, just like us. If you give them too much all at once, they'll be getting a lot of carbohydrates, but they won't be getting enough protein. They need a certain amount of extra protein every day, to form an egg.

9. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I feed 24% protein Turkey/Gamebird Feed mixed with 15% BOSS. That way when I give the girls fruit from our trees or veggies from the garden, I know they have received the protein they need to produce their eggs. I pull weeds for them...they love grass clippings and sticker grass...been trying to figure what I'm going to do this Winter to supply their greens.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by