Treats and Poop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nuttyredhead, Jun 29, 2010.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Odd question I know buuuut.....

I fed my chickens Corn and Watermelon for the 1rst time today, when i went out to put them to bed i noticed they had some runny poop going on. Is this normal when you introduce new snacks? Edited to add that they are 11 weeks today!

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Sure, what comes out of the back end is a reflection of what goes into the front end. That's one reason why there's such a great variation in normal chicken droppings as reflected in the famous chicken poo link given above. Chickens that are free ranging have a quite varied diet.

4. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Quote:Wait till they go broody and you notice their poo then. You'll see poo that is huge and looks like it's been left by a predator. [​IMG] It's because they sit all day on eggs and don't poo every hour like the others. They wait and make one major huge pile that you'll figure is worth walking to the barn for a shovel to scoop this one up. [​IMG]

5. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Liquid is normal its one of the birds cooling agents as well, cecal poo is done every 8-10 bowel movements. and in some cases if there to hot they will poo a liquid to help cool them down some. the link above is the best link to have in my opinion.

6. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Thanks so much everyone!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by