1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

treats- can i give 10 weeks old chicks watermelon with the rind on?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sunflowerenvy, Jul 3, 2010.

1. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Songster

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    I have 9 pullets and 1 roo they are 10 weeks old. i feed them pellets at 7am and and then bowls get complete empty by 6pm in their run . i would love start give them treat around noon. i bought a watermelon i would like to share it with them.
    can they eat watermelon and rind of it too at this age?

2. TexasVet

TexasVet Songster

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    I give watermelon to my chickens and chicks all the time. As a rule, they eat all the soft parts and leave the rind. Just make sure to place the melon rind-side down when you give it to them.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.ChickenTrackin.com

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Crowing

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    [​IMG] First of all food should be available 24/7. They should not give out they are growing. Yes ,they can have watermelon. Mine get about anything I have on hand at that age. Grits cooked, noodles etc. LOL They are growing really well for me and so far no disease etc. [​IMG] Aren't the chicks a riot. At first I was skittish about giving them much of anything, but I have loosened up alot with them. They really are hardier than they appear. I had a hen that taught me what to feed. She feed them anything almost at 2 weeks. They are by far the healthiest of my chicks I have grown. Gloria Jean

4. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Songster

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    First of all food should be available 24/7.

when they are in the run they have food n water. we are building own coop my hubby is stalling a run door right now but we have to bring in the chickens and put them in 3 big ferret/ bird cages 2 story with water . they start to roster 645 pm go to sleep all night long.
    i used to put in the feeders put 2 cups in them n pour them back in the cans in the moring and it was the same amount that i pour into the night before this is only temp sitution for 4 nights .
    when they are move into the coop n run they will have pellets/water in the coop24/7 . 3 cups of pellets in dish in run during the day with 24 hours bugs[ha ha] n greens, treats to about 30 minutes before dark. and ten too handful of stratch out- side after 12 pm.

i have to go build them a sand box fame maybe 3ftx3ft if we that long enough wood to put in the pen

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Crowing

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Sorry I misunderstood you. Building a coop is hard. I have done mine a bit at a time. I started with dirt floor, then wire with dirt, now I am gradually building floors in them. I love the poop boards that I added after I came on this site. They have saved my back for sure. Sooo much easier to keep the coop clean. Good luck with your coop. Gloria Jean

6. mgw

mgw Songster

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Our girls are 16 wks old now we give them watermellon they eat everything rind and all.

7. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Songster

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Mine are 11 weeks, the get watermelon often, Tonight there was barely the rinds left!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by