Treats during the winter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by farmgirl1995, Sep 8, 2010.

1. farmgirl1995

farmgirl1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Georgia:)
    So it gets pretty cold here in the mountains of Georgia. I'd like some suggestions for some warm treats to make them all cozy this winter:) Also, its ok to feed roosters layer feed, right? [​IMG]

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Suet, cooked egg or cooked oatmeal. Corn helps to keep them warm too.

3. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Their evening treat in warm weather is BOSS and in the morning they get scratch and BOSS. In winter it will be a 50/50 mix morning and evening. My wife is a old hand at horses and is a firm believer that corn makes heat, I have to listen to her on that. [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I used to have a link to some research on the old tale that corn makes heat. It doesn't, not any more than any other food, though of course eating does cause the body to produce some heat.

People feed roosters layer feed all the time. People who specifically raise roosters will tell you they do better on a different feed, a bit higher in protein and with less calcium, but there are millions of roosters who live out their lives on layer feed.

5. farmgirl1995

Sep 8, 2010
    Hmm, I tried corn last year and of course they liked it but I don't know how much good it did. Can't hurt though:) And alright, they seem to be fine with it as well:)

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If you give chickens a less processed grain, it takes longer to digest it than a chicken feed that is formed from finely ground grain. On long winter nights, I wonder if that is why people have traditionally fed scratch grains at night, to fuel the chickens longer through the night. In extreme cold, don't people eat and burn more carbs, rather than extra protein? I think that may be another reason people have traditionally fed scratch at night, in the winter.

7. farmgirl1995

Sep 8, 2010
    I suppose so. That seems to make sense

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    The only time I feed scratch is in the winter--I don't know about corn producing heat but it does help build fat which keeps the birds warm. As far as layer and roosters, you're probably too young to remember "Lay or Bust" feed--I think it was produced by Ralston-Purina. Their ads showed arooster exploding from eating it.[​IMG]

9. Glenbogel06

Glenbogel06 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2008
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    I give my flock hot oat meal, with some milk or yogurt mixed in. They love it!

10. farmgirl1995

Sep 8, 2010
    Quote:Never heard of it. :O ! Why did the rooster explode??[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by