Treats? Egg yolk, bugs and grit?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FingerLakesChick, May 22, 2007.

1. FingerLakesChick

FingerLakesChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Western New York
    My babies are 3 days old. Tonite I gave them a little bit of egg yolk, they also hunted down and went crazy fighting over a huge ant. Do I need to give them grit for these few little snacks? Or only when they eat grasses and grains? Would it hurt them if I gave them a little bit? They currently eat medicated chick starter crumbles only.

Thanks!!

Gosh, they are doing soooo good!! And they are so sweet!

2. iopele

iopele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    If you do give a little grit, make sure it's only a LITTLE grit. Today I spent hours helping my 8 day old chick with a grit impaction. Never thought I'd be so happy to see a chick poop!

3. FingerLakesChick

Mar 14, 2007
    Western New York
    Will they be able to digest the few bugs they get in their pen without grit? I've been looking through my books, and I don't see any information on this, although it does advise providing grit when the chickens are free ranging etc. They won't even go out into our yard for another 2 weeks, supervised of course, weather permitting. But they just devoured a huge moth!! I can't keep all the bugs out, they're naturally attracted to the heat from the light bulb. Oh what to do? What to do? They are so ferocious!! And fearless!!

4. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    Im no expert when it comes to that,just my personal experience is that i have had no problems with the chicks getting bugs,without grit.

I raise my chicks in a brooder till thier almost 3 months old i never supplied grit to them in the brooder,and i know they ate plenty of moths and june bugs,without grit..(i have seen too many times to count) And my chicks were always healthy.

It might be best just to throw in a clump full of dirt for them to scratch around in and get them some natural grit.

5. Jsto

Jsto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    My girls go crazy over little bugs that happen in the brooder (this activity provides me with much entertainment by the way!), but have not had a problem. Providing them with grit gives me more cause for pause than an itty bitty bug. I'm not an expert by any means, though.

I'm thinking of getting them a couple small crickets within the next week (have to double check on how old they can be for that though) and will probably just give them a few tiny pieces of grit off my finger after. It's my understanding that chicks don't self-regulate with the grit like adults do.

6. iopele

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    Quote:Yes, that was definitely my experience today with Domino. Then again, when he finally passed all the stopped-up poop, there was a fairly large little stone in there. I'm betting that's what caused the problem. I didn't notice any big pieces in the grit I gave them or I'd have picked it out... but if they'd been a little older, I bet that rock wouldn't have messed with him.

I know I'm not giving any more grit for a while, that's for sure!

7. FingerLakesChick

Mar 14, 2007
    Western New York
    Thanks a lot for the info. I'll hold off on any grit for now. They are so fun to watch going after those bugs. Very entertaining.

On another note, has anyone ever had their chickies peep loudly for attention, it's like they're calling for me and when I go back out and sit for a minute or two and talk to them it seems to soothe them.

Maybe I just think they love me too?

8. iopele

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    Mine have just started doing that--they want me in sight! It's so, so sweet and makes me melt every time. When I had Domino separated, he would cry loudly whenever I wasn't sitting right next to his box!

Last night I caught a moth and gave it to them--stuck my hand in amidst them and then opened it so the moth could flutter out--later I reached in to change their water and they all came running. It's the first time they've actually come to me! I wished I had a treat to give them just then to reward them for it! They'll get more egg yolk later--they didn't seem interested in it a few days ago, but I gave them a little yesterday and they went nuts for it. Changing tastes, I guess!

9. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Boy, talk about peep loudly for me. I have two, but the one I call Fussy, even if I go to the bathroom, she will call for me or if she is out, come hunting me.
    I need to get them outside FAST, they are certainly old enuff but still working on my pen/house and its going rather slowly between all the spring rain and me with no knowledge of building.
    Anyhow, they are 7 to 8 weeks now, and still doing it! Ornery critters!
    Mom says at this point, they think they are house chooks and when I put them out, I will have to sleep out there with them so they will not yell for me. [​IMG]
    Oh and I heard my first odd clucking sound this weekend from Red! Normally Red doesnt talk much at all. It scared her to death! And Fussy looked at her like "Did you do that...and WHY?" I am beginning to think Fussy will peep at me til the day she dies. Red must think she does enough talking for the both of them. [​IMG] She talks constantly. I will ask her a question and I get this lil double "peep-peep" Funny their personalities. I wonder how she will answer when she starts clucking?

10. iopele

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    That's so funny, Fussy comes looking for you in the bathroom! [​IMG] I can just picture that!

I need to start on making my henhouse, too... oh, not looking forward to that. I've decided I'm going to buy a little shed and convert it because I don't have tools and really have no building experience. The shed's going to go right against my house beside the chain-link fence, and I'm going to make a run the length of the yard and probably about 5 feet wide. They'll have lots of room when they're ready to go out there, but I've been putting it off. When the rain stops, I'll have to get with it!

The kids were mad yesterday--I made a simple round wire barrier so we could take the chicks out on the grass for their first "field trip" and it started raining. I hope it stops and dries out before the boys get home from school because I said we'd do it today instead!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by