Treats for 1 month chicks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sunnyabc, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Sunnyabc

Sunnyabc Chirping

Mar 20, 2018
    Hello All, I am trying to ingratiate myself into these chicks lives and would like to find something other than chick scratch as treats. They go nuts over that but I believe it should be limited to a handful a day? (I have 5 birds). I’ve tried the scrambled eggs several times only to be met with looks of disdain and disappointment. Would it be ok to dig up some dandelion greens and offer? Any suggestions to quell the brooder boredom for them (pouring rain here on ca coast so no day trips to the outside run today) would be very much appreciated!

Peeperscreepers likes this.
  2. chickengirl778

chickengirl778 Songster

Apr 17, 2017
    I just pulled up some grass and put it in there for them and they went nuts for it! A baby dust bath with some dust in a tupperware works great too, but if it's raining it might be hard to find dry dirt....
    There's an article on it here: http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2014/04/8-brooder-box-boredom-busters-for-baby.html
    However, if you do put plants in be sure to put some CHICK GRIT, which they need to digest plants! :)

Sunnyabc likes this.
  3. Sunnyabc

Sunnyabc Chirping

Mar 20, 2018
    Thank you! I do have a little dish of chick grit in there that sees very little action but I guess they will take it if they need it..? Heading out to find some dry dirt now as they do go nuts over that. Good suggestion!

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Hi, I'm on the CA coast too... and we've got a forecast for rain the next several days. :frow

Meal worms are great fun. I prefer live. Defrosted frozen peas (maybe smashed a bit to pop open or cut in half) might be a hit and they are high in protein unlike corn. The eggs usually take a couple of introduction for me... but once they discover the yumm... it's ON. :drool

I like a plug of dirt, grass and all. I don't worry about grit because they get little pebbles from the dirt. It's a great boredom buster, but even better than that help them build resistance to the microbes in your soil before they go out full time. I don't care if it's moist, I put it in a pan, and get it from under the eaves of the house where it's less wet.

Another thing we ALWAYS do... Paintings (or marker coloring) on the brooders with lots of tiny little dots to peck at in different colors, around their head level. They wake up and go to work building something every day! :love Just hammering away happily.

Sunnyabc likes this.
  5. chickengirl778

chickengirl778 Songster

Apr 17, 2017
    That sounds too cute! I'm also from CA, but not on the coast....
    They should take the grit as they need it, yes.

EggSighted4Life and Sunnyabc like this.
  6. Sunnyabc

Sunnyabc Chirping

Mar 20, 2018
    OMG-hahaha the wall paintings! Going to do that now. I may take a ride up to Fort Bragg feed store to get meal worms once this Pineapple Express storm eases up a bit. Thank you SO much for the creative suggestions :)

EggSighted4Life likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: