treats for 10 day old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vickibiro, Jun 9, 2010.

1. vickibiro

vickibiro Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2010
    LaGrange, Kentucky
    I tried the black sunflower seeds and they are too big

am I rushing them or is their anything they can handle at this age?

scrambled eggs just seem wrong

2. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    plain yougert or a mashed up boiled egg; mine love a boiled egg!

3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:I agree that is best for them! Chicks just LOVE the stuff!!!

4. BrewedInNh

BrewedInNh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Southern NH
    Ours went wild at 10 days old for baby crickets from the pet store.

If you're adverse to feeding scrambled or hard-boiled eggs you might try cut up berries, or seedless grapes.

5. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

try berries, chopped up dandilion leaves or grass, a little peice of bread, oats. no citrus or potatoes.

6. chicknerd

chicknerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    I use only the egg white of the hard boiled egg. I know it is silly, but the chick comes from the yolk and the whites provide nutrition so if you are giving them the whites you are giving them what they already know to eat. It is not canibalistic to give them just the egg white. I see nothing wrong with that.

That was my compromise and my chicks LOVE the chopped up egg whites. They also like the yogurt, when they are not stepping in it.

My dogs get the boiled yolk.

7. vickibiro

May 30, 2010
    LaGrange, Kentucky
    Quote:I love this reasoning! Thanks, they will get egg whites tomorrow. Today they got a little bread and they loved it. They took it right from my hand and ran from each other flapping and peeping. So much fun...

8. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Quote:Actually the chick develops from the blastodisc on the surface of the yolk and the yolk nourishes the chick during it's development. The white is the fluid the chick floats around in sort of like amniotic fluid. So if you are using that reasoning you should feed the yolk not the white.
    I just scramble up whole eggs and the chicks love them!

Be careful when feeding bread ~ it is not very nutritional for them. Make sure you give them access to grit once you start feeding treats!

9. vickibiro

May 30, 2010
    LaGrange, Kentucky
    Quote:Actually the chick develops from the blastodisc on the surface of the yolk and the yolk nourishes the chick during it's development. The white is the fluid the chick floats around in sort of like amniotic fluid. So if you are using that reasoning you should feed the yolk not the white.
    I just scramble up whole eggs and the chicks love them!

Be careful when feeding bread ~ it is not very nutritional for them. Make sure you give them access to grit once you start feeding treats!

[​IMG]

okay they get the whole egg

yeah I felt guilty feeding them the white bread that I don't even feed my kids but it was here and I thought I'd try it
    so no danger of that happening very often around here! Guess it's time to make a trip to TSC for some grit though!

10. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I let nothing go to waste ~ the babies get a scrambled egg then I wash and dry the shells, crush them and feed them back to the big girls for extra calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by