Treats for 2 week old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MotherDewey, Mar 8, 2014.

1. MotherDewey

MotherDewey Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2014
    I introduced some treats for my two week old chicks earlier this week.... and I've created 13 little monsters!! I gave them some hard boiled egg at first, and they liked it a lot. Then I gave them some quinoa... They freaked out! Jumping over each other, stepping on the other's heads to run away with their mouthful of treats! It was nuts... to say they liked it is a huge understatement! So now every time I go to the brooder, they start squawking loudly and waiting at the door, trying to be the first one to get to me. Which I love, don't get me wrong! But should they be expecting treats every time? They even freak out if I move their little blue dish (that I just happened to put the treats on). I always sit and play with them, trying to give each one some loves before I shut the door.. I don't want them to feel like I'm only there for food.

So my question is... how often do you give them treats? I don't want to overfill their tiny bellies with quinoa but I know they love it! They are still eating their normal chick starter just fine too.

2. Araucana16

Araucana16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Not to mention quinoa is very high in protein, it's not only a treat, but a supplement. No wonder they love it, anyway, it's like my favorite food! [​IMG]

I wouldn't give them much very often. You can (before giving them food in the morning and evening) chop some spinach, quinoa, oats, etc., and mix it in with their food. Then you can give them a few bits of treats during the day.

Not much... just a tablespoon or so each day.

3. Craftygirl

Craftygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2013
    Nebraska
    I have been giving mine mealworms once a day. They fought over it. Trying to steal it out of each others mouths. After they are gone, they do some serious scratching to find any leftovers. It's crazy.

When you say you give them quinoa, what form is it in? I'm quinoa challenged! Lol. I'd buy them some if I knew what exactly to buy.

What else can you give 2 - 3 week old chicks?

4. Awonderer

Awonderer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2014
    Templeton, CA
    So not to sound stupid, but is the quinoa cooked or raw?

5. Araucana16

Jun 18, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Probably cooked.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If feeding anything but chicken feed make sure they have some grit too.

I agree with not giving treats or food every time you interact with them.

7. Craftygirl

Craftygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2013
    Nebraska
    I offered mine grit for a whole day before I gave them the meal worms..

And I agree with not giving treats every time you see them. Mine don't need a treat to like me. I have one in particular that jumps up on me every time we take the lid off the brooder. :) And treats or not, I have one who doesn't give me attention at all.

8. Araucana16

Jun 18, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Oh, you all are asking about quinoa...

I didn't realize. You just go to the store and look for it, probably in the rice/grain aisle, though it's technically a seed. You'd have better chances of finding it at Whole Foods/Sprouts, places like that. Once you take it out of the package, rinse it well, then put 2 cups of water per 1 cup of quinoa. Put that on the stove, and wait about 25 minutes until it's all been soaked up. Fluff it with a fork, and you can put it in salads, enchiladas, burritos, etc.. It's a great vegetarian protein (I'm vegan so I chug the stuff!), and chickens love it!

1 person likes this.
  9. MotherDewey

MotherDewey Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2014
    Yea, cooked quinoa! We had some for dinner one night and that's when I first gave the chicks some. Thanks everyone for the input! I've kept it to a minimum :)

But I do have a question about grit... I thought I wasn't supposed to give grit to chicks so early? That's one thing I haven't given them yet.

10. chickadee43773

chickadee43773 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2014
    Guernsey County, Ohio
    I hope this is ok but I've started giving my chicks a very small amount of construction sand (with the bigger stuff sifted out) since I put a treat bar in their brooder.

Also I can't really get in the brooder I have made for them and when I try to pick up one they all go running and squawking away from me. I try to spend some time with them in the morning before work and after I come home from work. I want them to be used to me and I talk to them too so they can get used to my voice. Does anyone have suggestions on helping them be calm and easier to pick up?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by