Treats for 2 week olds?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Featherwisp, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Featherwisp

Featherwisp Songster

May 18, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Chicken feed used to be enough of an engaging treat for my little flock, but now they have grown used to the feed...they just seem bored of it as a hand fed treat.
    I tried mixing a bit of feed with yogurt, but they pecked at it a few times, stepped in it, made a mess, and they weren't very interested in it.

What are some treats that I can feed 2 week old chicks?
    I'm planning on buying some grit today, so that might broaden the variety I could give them...

2. pipermark

pipermark Songster

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    meal worms. By the way I purchased some form a member recently and they arrived fat and healthy, my chicks love me now!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  3. Deanner03

Deanner03 The Cake Queen

Meal worms are readily available at most larger pet supply stores. Start with the small ones. It's really fun to watch them devour them! [​IMG]

4. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Songster

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Give the yogurt mix another try, It took mine a few times before they caught on. After that they attacked it with a vengence. Mashed up boiled eggs are still their favorite though.

5. LaSombra

LaSombra Songster

May 28, 2009
    Washington
    mine love cottage cheese. They can eat the chunks [​IMG] It has a lot of protein in it, too, which is good for feather production, or so I've heard. If you use a lid from yogurt or cottage cheese, they won't be able to tip it either [​IMG]

6. Featherwisp

Featherwisp Songster

May 18, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I have never heard of feeding them cottage cheese! Hm, gonna try that today and see how it goes.
    I going to try the yogurt again too, but I can't wait until I can get them some grit and wormies. [​IMG]
    I have a feeling they will go bonkers over the worms.

7. Auntbeast

Auntbeast In the Brooder

Mar 25, 2009
    Rabun County, GA
    Mine are about a week old and they love grubs and earth worms.

8. 1eyejer

1eyejer Songster

Jun 18, 2009
    Prince Edward Island
    my white rocks are 3 weeks old and they just love cooked spaghetti and mosquitoes

9. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    oh yeah, bugs are the best! They're great fun to feed them to the chicks and watch'em go nuts! Ours enjoy cooked oatmeal, yogurt, noodles, hard boiled eggs, they love corn on the cobb, strawberries, cooked carrots, green beans, meal worms, you can even give corn meal, I have'nt done that yet though..[​IMG]

10. LaSombra

LaSombra Songster

May 28, 2009
    Washington
    oh yeah, corn on the cob... if we eat it, we give what's left to the chicks and they clean them good. I've never seen such a naked cob!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: