Treats for 3 week old RIR?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NinnyGillaspie, Nov 10, 2011.

1. NinnyGillaspie

NinnyGillaspie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Huntsville, Tx
    OK, I stopped giving them white bread, even though it was a very small piece. Had steamed cauliflower for supper on Tuesday, and mushed up about a tablespoon. I put it in my hand, and all my chicks were just pecking away. I have 9 chicks, 6 hens, and 1 roo. Tomorrow night it will be sweet potatoes, yum, yum.

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG] to the BYC

I would think of them being a baby new born and 3 weeks old and there system is different than a baby but its still young. If you insist on feeding your kids people food make it very bland at first. Scrambled eggs or hard boiled. Soft bland food like a good treat is even there chick food wet so now its soft. Try some rice. Treats are a treat when they eat it in less than 2 minutes. If they walk away and the treat is not finished then your feeding them way to much. Like even when they are older its something they gobble down and not full meals. Everything in moderation.

[​IMG]

3. Gvnam

Gvnam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    I give my chicks dry oatmeal, they love it! For my big girls, I give them cooked oatmeal

4. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    I'd try to research a little on chicken diets/nutrition. There was an interesting article that I can no longer find online about the natural diet of the wild Red Jungle Fowl, for instance. Not so much just do's and don't's but things like basic protein and carb needs, etc. It will make you more confident about varying the menu if you have a basic idea of the dietary requirements. Despite what some people will insist, not all "treats" are bad, or even inferior to feed mix ingredients, but the birds must have a reasonably balanced diet, and variety is good too.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I wouldn't worry about the treats for the chicks but when I do give them treats I always make sure they have chick grit too.

You only need to supply grit when you are feeding the chicks other foods or treats. A chicken's food goes, as is, into the crop, where it is slowly funneled into a very small " stomach" for some digestive additives--then to the Gizzard, where it is 'chewed', that is, ground into material that can be digested as it moves into the intestines and so on... The Gizzard is best able to break down whole grains and other chunky bits that they eat when full of grit. Longest lasting grit is Granite. All other rock and stone is much softer, that it wears down fast and that is why granite grit is best choice and works really well for best utilization of feeds. My baby chicks are given free choice and they choose it with pleasure, Chick grit is fine Granite, as soon as they are given anything besides Starter Crumbles. Their tiny gizzards are at optimum function at an early age. I get my chick grit at our local TSC.

6. Mom2Five

Mom2Five Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2011
    Stuarts Draft, VA
    Quote:I don't really give chicks treats either, but if you do, provide the chick grit. I find that chicks need to GROW, so I just give them the chick starter feed with the high protein.
    Treats are like candy; I provide that when they're older.

7. Grog

Grog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    I have given my chicks white bread as a treat every time I have chicks. None have suffered any issues. Now I do agree that you should limit the ammount. For 25 chicks I did 1 piece at any time( was like watchin piranna eat a cow [​IMG]). also I do wild bird seed. I avoid left-overs(full meal stuff) till they are full grown then my flock doubles as a disposal unit. the chicks have also had; white rice, tortillas, waffels, and grass(before they went out). As long as you provide plenty of water and a bit of grit they will be fine with bread. IMHO

8. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    All "treats" aren't created equal though. That's why I don't even really like to use the word "treats". Nearly all of the so-called treats I give my flock are scraps from the kitchen like dairy products and bread scraps that provide important nutrients to the diet (carbs, protein), as well as things from the orchard and the gardens that are for what ever reason unfit for market and would otherwise just left to rot in the fields or composted. Greens from the garden, for example, aren't just "treats", but valuable sources of vitamins, trace minerals, and small amounts of protein. Beans or seeds from woody okra pods are high in protein. The added beauty of this is that it provides a use for things that would otherwise go to "waste." I also culture BSF larvae and Azolla as protein supplements. Equating such "treats" with human candy (which typically contains only high amounts of sugar or corn syrup with a little bit of artificial flavor or color additives and other non-nutritional or mildly toxic ingredients) just doesn't make any sense to me... Knowing a little instead about healthy poultry (and for that matter, human) nutrition and using common sense makes a lot more sense.
    Just my five cents... (5 cents sense?) [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  9. Mom2Five

Mom2Five Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2011
    Stuarts Draft, VA
    We live next to a dairy farm where we get our fresh milk. One thing I know for sure is that my chickens LOVE the cream skimmed off the top of the milk. (But don't tell my husband cuz he's always wondering why he runs out of cream for his coffee.)

10. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    All the chicks I have raised have loved scrambled eggs. A little warped, I know but the chicks love them!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by