Treats for 6 week olds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NancyA, Apr 6, 2018.

1. NancyA

NancyA In the Brooder

Apr 5, 2018
    Ontario,Canada
    I'd like to give my 6 week olds treats to try getting close to them, but not sure what they'd like at their age... I offered grapes, and carrot peel, and they weren't interested. I also hung a little apple, but they're just afraid of it lol

2. Speedychicken27

Speedychicken27 Songster

Mar 5, 2018
    Michigan
    I would give them a tinny peice of spinich i have young turkies that go crazy over it

NancyA likes this.
  3. igorsMistress

igorsMistress Crossing the Road Barefoot

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    When my girls were littles they loved anything green. Live meal worms and crickets too.

4. Courtney1253

Courtney1253 In the Brooder

Mar 26, 2018
    Kansas
    I gave mine some cooked couscous and they went crazy over it.

5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Spinach is not good for poultry..It blocks the body from absorbing calcium..

6. christwodog

christwodog Songster

Jan 16, 2017
    Hard boiled egg and little bits of cooked whole grain spaghetti have always been favorites with my little ones. I don't give too many treats especially at that young age.

7. chickengirl778

chickengirl778 Songster

Apr 17, 2017
    A great treat is scrambled eggs! You could also just pull up a small clump of grass and let them at it. They might scratch at it and eat the grass. Just be sure to have some kind of grit to help them digest the plants.

8. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

They are Chickens and feed is the most important thing to them..Treats once or twice a week is sufficiently good enough..

NancyA likes this.
  9. igorsMistress

igorsMistress Crossing the Road Barefoot

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    Well I guess I'm a bad chicken mom then because my girls get a treat every day. They might only NEED feed, but who wants to eat the same thing every day without some variety?

What's the difference between me giving them broccoli vs the girls eating everything green in my yard? Obviously they don't just want feed.

Bobby Basham and nerfworthy like this.
  10. katieuppi

katieuppi Songster

Feb 10, 2017
    Pacific Northwest
    My girls loved clumps of grass with dirt attached, and black soldier fly larvae. Lemon balm was another favorite.

igorsMistress likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: