Treats for 7 week olds?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DebB11, May 13, 2011.

1. DebB11

DebB11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    What kind of treats will my 7 week old chickens like? what is it ok to give them at their age? Anything I should avoid? How often should I offer it?

2. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    So far mine have had plain yogurt sprinkled with feed (wear a raincoat!), zucchini (BIG hit!), meal worms (worth video taping!), and green beans (less enthusiasm). Chicken wild rice soup and cooked/cooled oatmeal were fan favorites. Tomatoes had a mild reception similar to the green beans. I've heard no citrus, avocados, or green potato peels.

ETA: I give small amounts of treats every couple days. I want them eating mostly feed until they're all grown up.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  3. flowerhippie

flowerhippie Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    I use a 5 way scratch in all of my bird yards, my geese love it also. I begin at a few days old I use a coffee grinder to make the grain break down to digest in the chicks gizzard, surprisingly enough grit and oyster shell is a welcome treat. I will include this in the diet daily it helps production in the egg laying adding extra vitamins to the eggs I eat and contributes to the taste of egg layers and meat birds when I bring the food to the table. When giving table scraps you can give potato peel if only cooked before feeding to the flock.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Seven week olds can have just about anything adult birds can, in moderation. Just make sure they have access to grit; either that they find on their own or provided for them.

The reason I say this... I have week old chicks free ranging with the flock. They are eating everything the adult birds eat, including gamebird feed (what I use in place of traditional scratch, healthier for them) and they are thriving. Mama Hen has shown them how to find "grit", I've watched her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by