Treats for baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Spires6, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Spires6

Spires6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Ohio
    My sons will be getting their new baby chicks and turkeys in the next 2 days. I want them handle them as much as possible as they will be shown for 4H this summer and need to be very tame. I was thinking that they could give them treats. I have other chickens and have a good idea of what they can eat as treats but I have never fed baby chicks anything more than chick starter in the first month or so. At what point should you start giving them treats and what is appropriate for young chicks?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I started plain yogurt and chopped hard boiled egg at 10 days old. I don't really consider those things treats, since the egg is good protein and the yogurt is good for their digestive tract. Still, two things they love and are easy on their systems. Always in moderation though, since they need the complete nutrition of their chick starter first and foremost.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  3. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    They really shouldnt have treats untill they get older,,starter/grower is all they need. But the plain yogurt is ok. Also heard that plain yogurt will help with cocci.

4. Spires6

Spires6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Ohio
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by