Treats for baby chicks?

earthgirl78

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 23, 2012
What are some good treats for baby chicks and when can they start being given to them? Mine are only 3-4 days old at this point. Would love to hear what everyone feeds their babies and at what age it is ok to give it to them. I know I need to give them chick grit when they start having treats, so I will do that.

Also - at what age should I start giving them kefir and apple cider vinegar (in the water) and how much of each? I am not feeding them medicated chick food, but a good certified organic one.

Any advice would be much appreciated - also any tips on using herbs with your chicks would be great too!

Thank you, this is a great forum!!!

-Sara

I've been putting 1 tsp of ACV per quart in my chicks' water since they arrived on Tuesday, and they seem to be drinking just fine. It seems like lots of folks start from day one. Not sure about the yogurt. Haven't tried that yet!

As for treats, there seems to be a range of opinions. I've been treating with regular feed mostly since they're so young, though yesterday I picked some edible violets out in the yard and let my girls have a go at them, which was hysterical. I've also heard of folks giving young chicks bits of grass even early on, though consensus seems to be to emphasize feed over treats as much as possible the first few weeks. Also, if you start treating, you should consider giving your chicks access to grit in the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom