Treats for chickens?

Susan1958

Chirping
Dec 31, 2013
Can someone tell me what kind of "treats" I can give my chicken? For now, she is getting crumbled chicken feed only, but I read that you can give chickens other food. We have been giving her crumbled egg shells as well for the calcium.

Comments or suggestions?

Can someone tell me what kind of "treats" I can give my chicken? For now, she is getting crumbled chicken feed only, but I read that you can give chickens other food. We have been giving her crumbled egg shells as well for the calcium.

Comments or suggestions?

A chicken friend??? :hugs I see you say chicken, as in singular? Chickens need other chickens for company. They are flock animals and need their own kind, no matter how much human company they get.

As for food treats....how old is she? Chick or adult? Chicks can have limited treats....mealworms, scrambled egg, the odd bit of finely chopped green veg as long as they have grit.

An adult....cabbage, broccoli, spring greens, kale, anything in the veg department that's green and leafy really. Bread, cereal, egg, all feeder insects, meat scraps etc xxx

Wow, you only have one chicken? Seems like you could get a few buddies for your lonely little hen lol. Our chickens primarily get their standard complete feed as we want healthy chickens. But they also get leftovers that would otherwise go to waste.

For some reason my wife always makes way to much oatmeal which the chickens love to finish up for us. I give them a handful of chicken scratch now and then, usually its to get them to go where I want them to be.

I'll also throw them a handful of dry Cat food now and then since they are omnivores and need some animal fats / amino acids. Those used to be in their complete feeds, but since Soy has become so cheap it has replaced those. You want to use adult cat food as the kitten kibbles have too much fat.

Back
Top Bottom