Treats for Chickens

smdcleland

Songster
Sep 4, 2021
Upstate, NY
Hello all. What are some good treats for chickens besides their normal feed? Mine love unsalted sunflower seeds but they can be hard to find. I also give them mealworms sometimes. I've been tomatoes, bananas and romaine, but they don't seem as excited for those. I feel bad when they only get regular feed for the day. I want to spruce their diet up more so they are happy.

Don't feel bad, you want them to eat their real food, not treats.
treats aren't really supposed to be a part of their every day diet, may 2-3 time a week.
Fruits and veggies are great, scrambled eggs, maybe a pinch of shredded cheese, try to avoid high starch treats.
Yes, forgot to mention the veggies. Anything that's a little past its time but still safe to eat (not rotted) is a great chicken treat.

Hello all. What are some good treats for chickens besides their normal feed? Mine love unsalted sunflower seeds but they can be hard to find. I also give them mealworms sometimes. I've been tomatoes, bananas and romaine, but they don't seem as excited for those. I feel bad when they only get regular feed for the day. I want to spruce their diet up more so they are happy.
Try buying black oil sunflower seeds sold as wild bird food, they are cheaper than the food-grade sunflower seeds and are perfect for chickens. Mealworms and black soldier fly larvae are great snacks. Some of my chickens' favorite fruit/veggie scraps include: watermelon rinds, cooked pumpkin and squash (they get this when I make stuffed squash and have leftover skins with some flesh still attached), and overripe tomatoes.

Back
Top Bottom